"Market Map" - anybody using it ?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Marsupilami, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Oh and by the way Mup, I was one of those people daft enough to get The Delta Phenomenon - I thought it was a pile of crap and it lay in a cupboard for years. Then I met two different guys who showed my how the 4 day cycle really worked. The best thing is knowing before the day starts what kind of action to expect.

#11     Nov 27, 2006
  2. Mup

Mup

Please don't tell me one of those guys was Steve Copan...

I'm not questioning the use of a 4 day cycle and how one uses it... Its the inaccurate more hit and miss version thats being charged $100 bucks for... I can't seem to grasp...:confused:

:D

#12     Nov 27, 2006
  3. Tyren

Tyren

No, it's not the "Pesavento map" in Ensign. It is Pesavento neural-net that was developed in 1992 or so...
    I think his trading-room is $49 per month or something, Tradingtutor.com
    I think he still post the n-net/map.

#13     Nov 28, 2006
  4. swandro

swandro

I have been trying to piece together the story of the Market Map and here is where I have arrived at. I am happy to be corrected if any of my facts are wrong and you know better.

Pesavento developed his predictive map about 14 years ago. It is a pattern-recognition neural net and was developed by a genius who worked on missile guidance systems. This genius died and Larry found others to run with the project. We have to assume that the map that you can get from Larry these days is a later and more developed version of the original.

Meanwhile, Larry gave the Ensign people permission to code the map into their product. Arrington of Ensign employed someone of the same name (his father?) to decode the neural net (in the absence of documentation) and it was subsequently built into Ensign, where it is to this day.

Incidentally, a feature of all these maps is that they are based on 2 minute charts.

Then we get to Tom Hougaard. Tom is not a system developer, but he knows a good system when he sees one and is happy to use it (my opinion!). He has a version of the map which, as has been said, has just gone subscription only on his site. This is the second time he has offered the map for free and then taken it into subscription. Now is Tom's map the same as Pesavento's? Well there are similarities - for instance Tom's is based on a 2 minute chart and it looks the same. And - he uses Ensign to publish it. But Tom is simply using Ensign as a display tool - you can import indicators, and that is what he is doing. He has his original map in Excel.

My theory is that Tom's map is based on a version of Pesavento's that has been leaked out of the Pesavento camp. Alternatively it might be based on completely different principles. I just do not know. But what I can say is that Tom's description of how it is created is almost identical to any descriptions of Pesavento's map (i.e. pattern recognition over x days, compared to yesterday etc.)

Interestingly, there is a new kid on the block. Take a look at Foresight A.I. This is - guess what - a market map. And I wonder who presents the training courses? Larry Pesavento! So it appears that Larry has sold the rights to the map to STI as well (who publish Foresight). And the cost? $500 PER INSTRUMENT PER MONTH!!!!!

I think I have dumped everything I know about this subject into this message. My conclusion is that I personally think that Larry's own maps, Tom's maps, Ensign's maps and indeed Foresight's maps are based on the same original concepts, as developed by a genius named David Regan. But I also believe that each party has developed them in different directions and independently of each other.

Do they work? Well Foresight must think so, if they want to lift that much cash off you for the privilege of using them.

#14     Nov 28, 2006
  5. swandro, good post. I use the Map in my own (not recommended) way - i.e. I ignore time and use range charts. The Map constantly updates itself depending on when you set it to recalculate price action and there is an option for an inverted Map giving an alternative mirror image projection.

Here are YM Z6 examples from last night (big chart) and this morning (insert chart). The 8th is 8th contact on this trendline and last night showed a strong reversal is due. With just a little more data it decided that a breakdown is the most likely event.

What interests me as much as reversal points is the potential to pick up alerts for bigger moves. But I'd never dream of using this as a stand alone tool to forecast the market.

The Map is good at warning of coming congestion and alerting me to trends before their onset. As I mentioned earlier, for anyone who wants more information, I demonstrated how I use the Map in Interesting Charts thread.

#15     Nov 28, 2006
  6. Tyren

Tyren

Yes, it's the same. I have watched both marketmap.com and tradingtutor.com at the same days.

#16     Nov 28, 2006
  7. Mup

Mup

Interesting post guys...

Tom Hougaard did a lot of dealings with Steve Copan since 1994 and he floggs Copan's Matrix CD's via his free site.

On Hougaard's new map website, its says the maps are based on Delta and Fibs...

From Hougaards new website :
    The Market Map is created using an advanced interpretation of commonly known time cycles such as Matrix cycles and Fibonacci cycles. In spite of all the research done in the application of the Matrix and astro-time cycles, there are times when the Market Maps invert

So its starts to feel like a mish mash of Larry P / Copan...

#17     Nov 28, 2006
  8. Tyren

Tyren

I forgot "the", so the correct website is themarketmap.com
    :)

#18     Nov 28, 2006
  9. Tyren

Tyren

"The market matrix"(Copan) is this :
    http://www.tradertom.com/matrix.htm
    It's forcasting months ahead.

"The market map"(Pesavento) is based on neural-net calculations, and it often inverts. It's a 1 day forecast.

The sentence seems like a mix of those two...

#19     Nov 28, 2006
  10. Mup

Mup

Are you on commission Tryen with that link....:) ))

The $100 bucks they go for on ebay is a more realistic......

Tom H has a big thing for delta and it seems his trip to the New York Expo and his meet with Larry P blended the maps into the form they are now...Rather than the orignal delta versions he did.

#20     Nov 28, 2006