market makers

Discussion in 'Trading' started by samuritrader, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Do you forget than anything can be traded. No one cares what the co does, least of all the MM's. It's just a Ponzi scheme, get over it.

#41     Jun 15, 2004
  2. Mecro

Mecro

It's the factor of REAL investor buyers & sellers, smth IPIX, TASR and other hedge fund play stocks simply do not have.

samuritrader, I hear ya. Good luck in your trading.

#42     Jun 16, 2004

3. THIS IS WHAT i WAS ASKING

AT LEAST AT SWIFT THEY TRADE THE SAME STOCK EVERYDAY, OVER AND OVER AGAIN

So, what exactly is proprietary trading?
    Simply put, SwiftTrade's Prop Traders are employed to trade a company's capital on the stock market. Traders are equipped with state-of-the-art computers and software that allows them direct access to the markets via a number of Electronic Communications Networks, or ECN's. Traders will generally buy and sell one security (stock), making lightening fast decisions in a matter of seconds to capture the "spread" or the difference between asking price and the bidding price of that security.

How does it work?
    Each Trader is connected to a Market (NASDAQ, NYSE, etc.), and trades a single stock. Traders have three basic resources on hand to make lightening-fast buy and sell decisions:

The Level II Window: This window shows the size and value of all the bids and offers (in left and right columns, respectively) on a particular stock, top-down from highest to lowest. This allows traders to see what every other trader is bidding, or offering. When a trader puts in a bid or offer, it will appear on this screen. Watching a Level II screen on an active stock is spectacular, with buys and sells happening in less than seconds.

Charting: The charting window shows the progressive ups and downs of a stock's price, as well as the volume (number of shares) traded. By watching charts, traders can pick up on patterns than aid in making buy or sell decisions.

The "Squawk Box": This is essentially a PA system that connects the trading floor to an actual person, standing on the floor at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, where Futures (contracts to buy stocks in the future) are traded. By listening to what other traders are betting on in the long term, stock traders can get a better idea of what the price of the underlying stock will do in the immediate future.

Sound crazy? It is. It is quite possibly the most exciting job around.

How often does a trader "trade"?
    Traders average around 250 transactions, representing 250-500,000 shares in a single day. Some of the company's top traders will move upwards of two to three million!

How are traders paid?
    Traders earn a percentage of the overall net profit they make in any given month, and the more profit they make, the larger percentage of it they take home.

How much do traders make?
    This is directly correlated with how good the trader is. Top traders will net upwards of US$20,000 - US$50,000 monthly. The average is between $US8,000 - $US15,000.

What qualifications do I need to become a Prop Trader?
    Traders are energetic, competitive, and driven by an insatiable need to succeed. A BA, MBA or other equivalent business school experience is a definite advantage. No related experience is necessary, however, as Swift Trade provides extensive training to all potential traders. We look for people who can handle an extremely fast-paced and highly pressurized environment with enthusiasm and flare.

How can I apply?
    SwiftTrade seriously considers every resume that crosses our desks. Please visit the Employment, and Working at SwifTrade sections of this website for more information.

#43     Jul 15, 2004
  4. Can anyone suggest books or websites that will teach me about direct access trading? I have been a retail swing trader for about 2.5 years and have just really gained momentum (profits and volume) in the past 4 months as a PDT. I have spent some time with a pink sheet market maker, but he doesn't offer much advice about Nasdaq or Listed, which is what I trade.

Thanks!

#44     Dec 13, 2007