Market Makers

Discussion in 'Trading' started by squirrel, Mar 3, 2001.

1. squirrel

squirrel

This cleared some things up for me...http://www.streetsideinvestor.com/getexec.php3?982881168&tott ........ couple of other good examples there too....Thanks for the replies !

#11     Mar 5, 2001
  2. squirrel

squirrel

Hi all,,,,, Still studying and learning.....I have a question about something that happened today...I am still using Tradecast demo..... just buying some shares but mainly trying to watch the MM's.... I had been watching MLCO and LEHM.....Then ,,,all of a sudden,,, I went from $2000 up to $10,000 up.....I noticed that WARR spiked it up....Why does this happen,,,,I see the spikes all the time just looking at charts,,but never actually witnessed it happen...is he just doing this to shake the limit holders?? And is there anyway to take advantage of this when it happens??? Or will they just ignore you...Thanks

Also I would observe MLCO sitting alone at the high bid with 1000 shares but would not move...Then others would join him,,,sell and be out of there,,,He would not budge..Didn't really know if this means anything or not..He would do this for long periods.....Nowhere to be seen on the ask.. But thousands of shares being bought at his price...Sure does seem to be difficult to learn the aspects of trading in this market,,,,,Thank Goodness I'm not trading for real yet !!!!! GOT TO GIVE YOU GUYS CREDIT !!!Very confusing

#12     Mar 9, 2001
  3. limbo

limbo

Squirrel welcome to the world of the axe(or possibly just a large buyer or seller). MLCO sits there showing 1000-the fact is he's lying. In truth, he's buying or selling much more as you witnessed-and thats one reason why time and sales becomes such a valuable tool. Not sure what you mean in the first part of your post. I'm sure someone else will help you

#13     Mar 9, 2001
  4. limbo

limbo

Squirrel actually go back into this thread--Praetorian2 and zboy provide some really good info regarding this.

#14     Mar 9, 2001
  5. squirrel

squirrel

Hey Limbo, thanks for the reply..... Actually I have just been sitting with the demo fooling around buying shares here and there....What I am mainly concentrating on though is watching the market makers....Trying to figure out if there is an ax,,,and who he is... I just sit and stare...hour after hour....Finally came up with two that were acting strange...Meril Lynch and Lehman Bros.... As I was watching these two,,,all of a sudden My P/L shot up to 10,000 dollars from 2,000 dollars ,noticed that WARR was on the bid aprox. 3 dollars higher than everyone else for about 15 seconds,, then he dropped in 1/2 point increments until he disapeared..but was getting hit all the way down....Although there was only split seconds to sell to him....Why would he do this ????

AND DAMN,,, now this new ruling is coming out.... Guess I'm gonna have to hunker down and learn to go long for a while !!!!!

#15     Mar 9, 2001
  6. limbo

limbo

Squirrel--I think what you're seeing here is strictly a messed up demo--so pay no attention at all. I use cybercorp and their demo always screws up just like your describing-I personally occasionally just use the demo for hand/eye coordination and speed(with mouse)-- for execution practice. Also be sure to keep in mind that the demo is just that-not real. So if you pick off 2k foolin around -don't have to much faith in it. They just about give you the fill. The real world's much tougher. Sounds like you're doin ok though--I don't know what execution methods your platform offers-but get clear on those-read up on how they work during this demo time. So keep on starin-lol. What new rule are you talkin about??---also keep in mind if you have a new question it's best to start a new thread so all will see it. Good luck.

#16     Mar 9, 2001