Market depth on IB

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by andy4444, Apr 1, 2004.

1. andy4444

andy4444

Hi guys

I'm thinking of giving IB a go and was looking at their demo, but I couldn't see any market depth funktion?!?

Just to clarify: by market depth I mean that I can see the number of lots being offered not only at the current ask price, but also the number of lots being offered one, two and three ticks above the current ask price.

Is it not possible to see market depth on IBs platform, or is it just me being stupid enough not to find it?

Thanks for the help!

Andy

2. def

def Sponsor

right click on the order line and a box, if order depth is available click on the choice in the drop down menu and it will come up with market depth.

3. MR.NBBO

MR.NBBO

Our crew calls IB's market depth "broken book" instead of "openbook". It only works 2/3 the time & gives a swiss cheese look at the orders that are actually there. Its a problem on IB's end.....not with the quote dissemination from the source.

4. can prove it ?

I use IB all the time and the depth of the book to me

is the same 5 levels as elsewhere.

sorry if I sound annoyed at IB bashing ...

but I am still happy with IB although I am scalping less

since their commissions went a tad higher in some futures I trade

5. MR.NBBO

MR.NBBO

I'm an IB fan.....don't get me wrong, so calm down.

THE NYSE openbook via market depth at IB is not in proper working order, for almost 2 years now. It's gotten better, we've complained (as many others have too)...but you can tell when its not working quite right. I use esignal now for my openbook & all is well. Love IB....just wish some things would improve, especially lately.

6. my mistake .. I did not know you were referring to

NYSE OPEN BOOK

I had tried it a yr ago with IB and did not think it added much
    value to my NYSE trades ... perhaps it was lacking the depth
    of book you are referring too :)

7. Hydrogen

Hydrogen

Market depth function atleast for the "futures" is not available on their demo. It is available with a real account. I had the same question when I was working with the demo.

8. andy4444

andy4444

Thank you for all the answers guys!

Does anyone have experience from how fast the IB platform is?

I trade high frequency, my strategy is based on looking at small pricefluctuations and I depend on being able to enter and pull my orders quickly.

In the past I have used X-trader and J-trader, but as I'm broke I can't afford them at the moment. Is there any platform that has a decent speed of order-execution without the costs associated with X and J-trader?

Your help is much appreciated

andy