Market Delta - Transitioning to the New Platform

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by bolter, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Well, you have certainly put me in my place!!
    What can I say.

#41     Sep 16, 2006
  2. That's OK, everyone was given a basic re-education in trading (albeit at your expense), but to the point.

Does anyone have any insight into trading using Market Delta? It sounds a lot like Market Profile to me, and I don't use either method (I like to KISS), but for anyone who might have been interested, I'm sure they would like some greater insight.

Regards,

JJ

#42     Sep 16, 2006
  3. G'day billp,

Cracker morning here. Nothing like an early sunday morning run when with a clear blue sky above and the ocean roaring. Everyone else is still sleeping/hungover, get the whole thing to myself. Lovely.

Yes, it is possible that you have incorrectly assigned the sessions to your instruments. How it works is that the quotepage (my symbols, or whatever you call it) becomes the master key for the instrument setup. So if you enter in an instrument and you have not assigned it the correct session then any new charts you open will need to be 'overridden' in the chart specific settings. You can get to those settings by right clicking on the time axis down below and altering it in the 'view period' tab.

Please see my next posts for your other queries...

Kind regards,
    MK

#43     Sep 16, 2006
  4. You are an insightful man JJ.

#44     Sep 16, 2006
  5. Midknight,

Thanks for the feedback.
    Am a bit confused though and appreciate your clarification.

So you pull up a 1 minute chart and press the spacebar to download, then from there choose download tick? It will then convert the tick data to 1 minute candlestick chart?

No, you can't do it like that billp. If you pull up a 1min chart and hit space bar you are downloading 1minute data. You will only download as much data as the chart holds. For example, if you have the chart set to show 5 days worth of data, then the refresh will get 5 days worth of 1 minute data.

What I do when I wake up to start the day is I download the last day worth of tick data for my entire quotepage. I'll post a screenshot of what I mean...

http://charts.dacharts.com/2006-08-12/download.png

I tried doing that but got some problems. Maybe I have uninstalled and installed the program too many times and using different links as provided by Trevor. As of now, I can't even find the program in the add/remove program list anymore although I can still open it using the icon on my desktop. I remembered when I first uninstalled it, I could still find it in the 'add/remove program'.

Hmm...that doesn't sound good...

I strongly suspect I will give this software up soon. I've not found it that useful yet as I'm still learning the delta. Thus, I'm not sure whether I really want to spend the time and effort on this software/IT thing as I have not found the usefulness of delta yet. Not saying that the delta is useless, its just that weighing the time, effort in understanding Investor R/T-marketdelta software may not be worth it if I ultimately cannot make a strategy out of the delta or get the delta to help in my trading. Ok, flaming, advise welcome.

I understand that. Delta patterns are like price/volume patterns. Need to watch it for a while and spend some time before it becomes useful. I know migrating to new software is always a pain in the butt though :(

My kindest wishes,
    MK

#45     Sep 16, 2006
  6. I sent email to linnsoft yesterday about the differences between the VB indicator and the delta charts. Here is what they told me. I tend to agree with his comments.

** their response **

MidKnight,

Trevor had pointed out a difference between the two as well on Friday. I
    just dug into the code, and believe I discovered what is causing the
    descrepancy. The logic for the footprint chart vs the VB indicator is
    spelled out below. Feel free to share this with the elitetrader crowd and
    get their general opinion on which way (or maybe some other way) this should
    be handled. I'm inclined to use the logic currently used by the VB
    indicator. I'll discuss this with Trevor.

The Footprint chart logic:

If price <= (bid + ask)/2.....put in bid volume
    Else...put in ask volume

Volume Breakdown indicator logic:

If price <= bid....put in bid volume
    If price >= ask...put in ask volume
    If price is in between....not considered for the delta

Thanks for pointing this out.

Regards,

** End of their response **

#46     Sep 16, 2006
  7. I try to be.

But if we can't move beyond the basic "how do I download data using IRT" this thread isn't going go too far.

JJ

#47     Sep 16, 2006
  8. #48     Sep 16, 2006
  9. bolter

bolter

Hi MK,

Thanks for getting involved. As for as Linnsofts response I think the correct answer is that it needs be consistent with the existing version. There'd need to be a good reason to change the algorithm.

Cheers,
    bolter

#49     Sep 17, 2006
  10. bolter

bolter

With regard to the differences in the delta I reported earlier I've discovered the source of the problem was that the chart was based on 1 minute data.

Linnsoft point out that the delta and volume profile charts must built on tick data in order to be accurate. Ok no problem with that. However there is no way of telling the chart are actually built on 1 minute data. I have to export the data to Excel and eyeball it to figure out the interval.

In this case I had somehow managed to overwrite the last two days tick data with 1 minute data. How the hell that happened I have no idea.

Clearly this is going to prove problematic.

I'll do some more work on this Monday and keep you posted.

bolter

#50     Sep 17, 2006