Market Delta strategies

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by newbie2006, Oct 4, 2006.

1. I agree, this is part of an art with the tool...

Kind regards,
    MK

#21     Oct 5, 2006
  2. Thanks everyone for participating in this thread, I see alot of enthuism here.

I hope we can all enhance our strategies using our discussion here.

To continue my post:

lets examine how we can benefit from market delta, I do believe that market delta alone is deceiving because as I said in my first post and as others said too that seeing a negative market delta doesn't necessary means there is an aggressive seller.

I do combine both the market delta and the price action to come up with meaningful conclusion.

1- If we have normal increasing market delta and normal increasing price, this is the common case, aggressive buyers lift out the ask levels so the price goes up

2- if we have normal increasing market delta and constant or decreasing price, here we start to kick in, as simply this means that buyers are trying to lift the ask level but there is huge resistance, so the price is almost constant while the delta is increasing, and even worse if we see the ask stepping down

3- if we have "rapid" increasing in market delta and increasing price, this usually means aggressive buyers facing no resistance.

Notes:

1- the above argument goes in the other way around for selling

2- what do I mean by normal increasing of market delta ? ok, for every stock there is an average number of shares needed to break a bid or an ask level, say for example AAPL is quoted $77.56x$77.57 , you watch for the number of shares hitting the ask and bid and record down these numbers , so lets say the total number of shares traded @ the ask was 1500 then we get quoted $77.57x$77.58, we do the previous process again and watch for broken level (bid or ask), lets say we do this 50 times (50 level breaks) and take the average of these readings, now we have the average number of shares need to break a bid or an ask level, my system is fully automated so this is done easily but if you are manually trading then you can't do it this way, you will use your feeling for the stock, I am sure if you look at AAPL and QQQQ you will notice the difference.
    So by normal increasing of delta I mean that the price is increasing in the same rate that delta is increasing, so if price increase 5 cents then we expect that delta increases 5 x The Average delta calculated above

#22     Oct 5, 2006
  3. Continued.....

So lets develop a simple strategy using the above.

I call this "The wall resistance"

we watch for a stock like AAPL and calculate the average number of shares needed to break a level, then we watch for the price action and wait till we see at a certain level that the market delta is increasing or decreasing while the price is constant or or going on the opposite direction of the delta, this means there is a wall resistance in the direction of the delta and if the wall stands still, we normally see a rally in the opposite direction, why this happens ?

For example, if we see this wall at the ask, traders keep on hitting it, if it doesn't break after a while then normally other traders will believe that there is a resistance here and will go in the direction of the wall so this puts some pressure on the downside besides all the traders who hit that wall will discover that they are being trapped and will run to sell all the shares that they bought which will usually create a rally to the downside, how much this rally will go ? for a stock like AAPL its normally not less than 10 cents but usually if that wall was really legit you will not see the price to go back for some long while, so you can get 30 or even 50 cents within few minutes.

ok, what if the the wall breaks ? normally you will see a rally in the opposite direction of the wall, so in the above example, if the ask level is fully taken for more than 2 cents then just reverse your position, the logic behind this the exact opposite of the above.

so with this strategy you can get some high probability trades with nice scalp profits.

I am sure that some of the above might sound vague or not clear so please just throw in your questions and/or your criticism

please excuse my bad English.

#23     Oct 5, 2006
  4. Thank-you to 5Pillars and all the others for your input .......this should get me started in the right direction

#24     Oct 5, 2006
  5. This indicator constructs a more precise review of the current candlestick and all those prior imo. It does a better job as a visual reference in chop and strong trends, as compared to the MACD, stochastics, RSI, and others for the entry set-ups I am looking for. I never enter a trade because of the TSI or as a signal by itself....it is used more as a price related visual reference to optimize potential entry locations.

#25     Oct 5, 2006
  6. billp

billp

Sorry, made a mistake in my example. The example should be as below :

Also, I've given an example below where the shift in delta would not work.
    Say for example, the important support level is at $50
    1 minute chart
    Time Delta Price
    10.57-10.58am -20 $50.2
    10.58-10.59am -50 $50.15
    10.59-11am -300 $50
    11-11.01 am +400 $50.02
    11.01-11.02 +50 $50.05
    11.02-11.03 -300 $50.1
    11.02-11.04 -50 $50.15
    11.04-11.05 +100 $50.05
    11.05-11.06 -70 $50
    11.06-11.07 +200 $49.8
    11.07-11.08 +50 $49.75

From the example, if just using delta and important support level, one will go long at 11.01am as price has gone above $50 and there is a shift from -ve delta to +ve delta. But as you can see, it did not really yield any real profits.
    This is just an example of what I see from my experience.

#26     Oct 5, 2006
  7. The "shifts" in delta is my FINAL criteria that must be met after all other conditions are proper to enter a trade. There is a process to find a high probability trade entry imo...

1) Is price at or near a s/r level based on recent price action or a MP level.

2) Do I have the delta in a divergence configuration during the most recent candles.

3) Does the TSI confirm possible "price" based optimal entry location.

4) Do I have the delta shift required for entry.

The SHIFT by itself is not the signal to enter a trade..........it is just the final step in a trade entry based set of criteria. The SHIFT transition is a requirement, to enter the trade with momentum at that moment most optimal after all other criteria are in alignment.

#27     Oct 5, 2006
  8. Again the SHIFT is not something to fixate on.....it is not a stand alone entry method. The SHIFT is the final requirement for trade entry to have an environment of momentum as the trade is initially filled.

Also, my footprint charts are set at "4P" not at 317 tick.....it is my candlestick charts that are set to 317 tick. :) You may also want to set your TOTAL bar volume a different color than red.......like this example.........

http://www.charthub.com/images/2006/10/05/ESZ6_MD.png

My total per bar volume is set in a blue color......this way it is differentiated from the coloring of red for negative and green for positive....just an idea.

#28     Oct 5, 2006
  9. 5Pillars,
    Can you elaborate on this one please, what is a divergence configuration ?

#29     Oct 5, 2006
  10. Sure...........see the divergence of the delta prior to my entry.......

http://www.charthub.com/images/2006/10/04/ES_317_VB_2.png

You can visually see the delta was in a diminishing state of selling spikes with conviction, just prior to the shift for my entry. Price made a lower low, but the initiated sellers were of less conviction as the ES traded at the LOD.........this is a divergence of price and in this case "negative" delta.

You can also see that price was at the lower channel of my Linear Regression channel, and there was some moderate support potential in the 1340 to 1341 area from the market profile chart.........

http://www.charthub.com/images/2006/10/04/MP_2.png

All of this combined told me this was an optimal location in price to enter a trade from a delta divergence with shift.

#30     Oct 5, 2006