Mark-To-Market

Discussion in 'Options' started by spindr0, Jan 10, 2009.

1. spindr0

spindr0

I realize that I need professional help :) but until I can find that, ET experts are all I have.

An accountant acquaintance who professes no experience with Active Trader status tossed out the idea of setting up a separate LLC whose purpose would be to trade securities. The LLC's activities would be reported on Schedule C with investment activities continuing to be reported on Schedule D. The LLC would be subject to the accounting rules it sets with its first filing and therefore one could achieve MTM status this way.

Thoughts?

#21     Jan 24, 2009
  2. BUT , can you only go against those prior two year's incomes IF that income was from TRADING WHILE USING MARK TO MARKET ACCOUNTING THAT YOU HAD ELECTED DURING THOSE TWO YEARS ?? or could your 2008 losses as a trader in 2008 who had officially elected MTM accounting with the IRS go against your ordinary income as a carpet cleaner in 2006 that you had at the same time that you broke even as a trader in 2006 who hadn't elected MTM accounting with the IRS for 2006 ??

#22     Jan 24, 2009
  3. dumbgai

dumbgai

Can anyone else confirm this. MTM traders can carry forward their losses to future years and pay less taxes in future years.

#23     Jan 24, 2009
  4. ak15

ak15

#24     Jan 24, 2009
  5. spindr0

spindr0

LOL. Accounting methods do not cause you to lose the ability to deduct losses or carry them forward. They only determine how they are treated (ordinary vs capital gain) and how much you can deduct in a given year.

And FWIW, if two or even twenty people here said otherwise, would that make it a fact? Do a web search on Mark-To-Market and read the info. Judge for yourself or get professional help (which is what I need :)

#25     Jan 25, 2009
  6. Thank you for the link! You made my life easier, i.e. I will not try to do LLC, or C-Corp or to ask for Mark-to-Market election. The bottom line is that I am not sure that I can qualify as a trader. I am trend following, swing trader with 6 months of active trading. I searched everywhere for the solution, but this made my mind in the end (to do nothing and file 1040 as usual).
    http://www.edaytradertax.com/tax_myths_entity.php

Getting away from wash sales with MTM is attractive, but if I lose more than $3,000/yr then I don't deserve to trade in the first place, IMHO.

#26     Mar 22, 2010