mark to market election

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by Free Thinker, Apr 10, 2002.

1. can someone who has filed for mark to market post a copy of the letter sent to irs to elect change so we can see how it should be worded

2. I also would like to know about this. I am thinking about changing my trader statis and printed form 3115 along with the instructions what a mess. This might take until next April 15th to fill this thing out.

I also await a reply to this.

3. davealex

davealex

Try

http://www.tradertax.com/

Satisfied client here. I believe they have an MTM letter sample on their site somwehere. That's where I got mine when I elected MTM two years ago.

Dave

4. JPB

JPB

I am considering joining a prop firm soon. I was planning on electing Mark-to Market and have my letter ready to send with my extension, but now I am not sure. Do prop traders use mtm or not? Would it hurt?

Thanks (and please hurry if you have an answer!),

Johnny

5. “Pursuant to IRC 475(f), the Taxpayer hereby elects to adopt the mark-to-market method of accounting for the tax year ended Dec. 31, 2002 and subsequent tax years. The election applies to the following trade or business: Trader in (Securities, commodities or securities and commodities)”

"This is NOT tax advice" This is what I filed.