Mark Fishers - ACD System from "The Logical trader"

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by MJUK, Dec 27, 2008.

1. pspr

pspr

At least it won't give you an STD - I don't think.

One Amazon reviewer notes Fisher's statement in the book indicating one needs to subscribe to his service.

Page 14 ...."These variables are based on our own proprietary research, the process of which I won't share with you except to say that the ACD values are based on the volatility measurements of a particular stock.."

#21     May 30, 2009
  2. People keep saying "the market has changed" like it is a religious belief. Yes, the world economies are dynamic and cyclical..

But there is a huge number of instruments to trade with their own peculiarities and market action.

Looking at an average chart, it really is not "different" than before. I would wager that anyone who was a truly successful price action trader could have made money 10 years ago, today, and 10 years from now.

And if I put up a few charts from different eras without revealing the particular instrument, I doubt most people/traders would see the difference.

Markets trend up, trend down, chop, go sideways, become almost a flat line, or go chaotic. This has and will always be the case.

#22     May 31, 2009
  3. bighog

bighog Guest

Opening range breakout trading is as close to the holy grail you will ever find in a game of chance based on odds. How you decide what works for you is an individual task and no book etc will be the "WHOLE" answer. Traders worth their salt know that even before they open any book.

I have my own version of the ORBreakout trade and it is a gem for ME. The real beauty of the ORB is you are not tied to the mkts and all the bullshit that is spread to get you to buy or sell whatever you are trading. I mean all you need to do is wait for the mkt to open (regular SP 500, NYSE time at 0930 EST ) and let the range you prefer based on time or number of ticks after the opening form and then you are good to go by setting your breakout numbers.

The goal of breakout trading is to capture that initial "RUN" and book it. Coffee goes down nice and smooth when the first breakout takes off and makes you all fuzzy and lovable. :)

Many new traders are NOT ready to handle the required discipline necessary to trade ORB. The reason is easy to figure out............new traders are not wanting to take small losses and we all know whipsaws are normal as a wife getting a headache at the wrong time. It takes an experienced trader to save themselves from those whipsaw days, not for the meek or weak undisciplined trader. New traders are not able to recognize how the price action is giving you clues to change tactics for any given day.

ORB "WORKS" ............after the ORB, you go to regular signals you developed for continuations of legs or recognizing when a trend reversal is at hand. No one ever said this was easy..........even though new traders come into the game thinking it is as easy as pie.

#23     May 31, 2009
  4. LVMises

LVMises

well said pigman:D

#24     Jun 1, 2009
  5. ssg10

ssg10

Trading is hard. But, once you get it, it's amazing. The chart can speak to you. ORB or ACD, as long as you combine with some basic technical analysis and chart reading. It's awesome.

A and C values are not disclosed, but Fish said it himself in the logical trader conference that it is very simple. it is based on ATR of last 20 days. He did mention that many people complained about that to him.

Well, I'd rather learn from the best floor trader in NYMEX than from some indicator designers who promises wealth

#25     Jun 3, 2009
  6. I did a web search for logical trading programming and landed here.

My methodoology, learned from someone else, is to primarily used DeMark TDSTs on 5 minute charts with opening range breakouts secondary. Getting a confirmation from the latter is a strong signal.

The TDSTs measure trend, not exhaustion, as I've learned. So when you get a breakout through a Buy TDST (or breakdown through a Sell TDST) price usually keeps on going until a TD Sequential Setup or Countdown occurs.

This works well on stocks and stock etfs, commodities, currencies, pretty much anything

#26     Jun 14, 2009
  7. MJUK

MJUK

Interesting. I had not heard of this method before. Could you explain how it works please? Also, what success rate and average risk/reward ratio does the method produce?

#27     Jun 14, 2009
  8. drmark27

drmark27

So... should I bother reading this book? I just got it from the library after being on a four-week wait list, the reaction here seems mixed, and at www.thelogicaltrader.net I see an ACD annual subscription listed for $1,895.

#28     Jul 3, 2009
  9. If you read the book, and use ACD on stocks or futures you know how to trade (with the emphasis on knowing how to trade with discipline), this system offers a high probability edge. That is all you can expect. High probability with discipline = profits. No it doesn't say when to exit, you should know that. It does give good stop recommendations though as long as the opening range isn't too big. I use this and it is my most profitable edge. A couple modifications are needed though:

1. You can't wait 5 minutes. If the volume is there, take the trade when it crosses over the 15 minute OR. A lesses time frame is noise.

2. The highest probability is the second cross though the OR if in the trend of the market. These you can hold greater than 60% of the time for 1- 4 hours and get the maximum run.

3. I paid someone to program for me in tradestation and it works like a gem. Can be automated with with entries and pre-described stops or just your own excellent execution and discipline.

I met with Mark Fisher at one of his charitable seminars. He's not a lover, just damn aggressive and successful at making big dollars.

#29     Jul 4, 2009
  10. Someone has a link to his track record ?

#30     Jul 4, 2009