Marines killed Iraqis ‘in cold blood’

Discussion in 'Politics' started by james_bond_3rd, May 18, 2006.

1. I cannot see your point. I have every right to believe or disbelieve a news story and express my opinion. So do you. But you do not have the right to question my integrity or patriotism unless your intention is to disrupt discussion in this thread. Can you see the difference? Don't tell me that your posts were not trying to cast doubts on my character. Otherwise why did you express your disappointment in me? Why did you give me advice? No one on this board seriously believe that others would take advice here, especially on political issues. The only interpretation of these advice is the implied suggestion that somehow my character is questionable.

#21     May 18, 2006
  2. g222

g222

Man - did you ever hit the nail right on the head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JB3 - My posts have offered you every respect. I've tried to detail to you why my posts carried no malice as you contend, but to no avail. I am indeed sorry that you feel that way, but so be it. But please - take a deep breath and chill, man.

#22     May 18, 2006
  3. BSAM

BSAM

I pick #3.

Ding/Ding/Ding/Ding/Ding---Ladies & gentlemen, we have a winner!!!

#23     May 18, 2006
  4. g222

g222

BSAM you SOB .....AAAHHHHHHHhhhh ... my sides ache and I think I popped a rib. AAAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ....
    Great timing, man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#24     May 18, 2006
  5. g222

g222

And by the way, I heard a rumor ... just a rumor, mind you ...
    that these people were gunned down by insurgents who ordered the 'witnesses' to blame the Marines. Crazy rumor because we all know that the Iraqis would NEVER do something like that to their own.

#25     May 18, 2006
  6. Lawmaker: Marines Killed Iraqis "In Cold Blood"
    By Jim Miklaszewski and Mike Viqueira
    NBC News

Wednesday 17 May 2006

Navy conducting war crimes probe into November violence in Haditha.

Washington - A Pentagon probe into the death of Iraqi civilians last November in the Iraqi city of Haditha will show that U.S. Marines "killed innocent civilians in cold blood," a U.S. lawmaker said Wednesday.

From the beginning, Iraqis in the town of Haditha said U.S. Marines deliberately killed 15 unarmed Iraqi civilians, including seven women and three children.

One young Iraqi girl said the Marines killed six members of her family, including her parents. "The Americans came into the room where my father was praying," she said, "and shot him."

On Wednesday, Rep. John Murtha, D-Pa., said the accounts are true.

Military officials told NBC News that the Marine Corps' own evidence appears to show Murtha is right.

A videotape taken by an Iraqi showed the aftermath of the alleged attack: a blood-smeared bedroom floor and bits of what appear to be human flesh and bullet holes on the walls.

The video, obtained by Time magazine, was broadcast a day after town residents told The Associated Press that American troops entered homes on Nov. 19 and shot dead 15 members of two families, including a 3-year-old girl.

On Nov. 20, U.S. Marines spokesman Capt. Jeffrey Pool issued a statement saying that on the previous day a roadside bomb had killed 15 civilians and a Marine. In a later gunbattle, U.S. and Iraqi troops killed eight insurgents, he said.

U.S. military officials later confirmed that the version of events was wrong.

Murtha said at a news conference Wednesday that sources within the military have told him that an internal investigation will show that "there was no firefight, there was no IED (improvised explosive device) that killed these innocent people. Our troops overreacted because of the pressure on them, and they killed innocent civilians in cold blood."

Military officials say Marine Corp photos taken immediately after the incident show many of the victims were shot at close range, in the head and chest, execution-style. One photo shows a mother and young child bent over on the floor as if in prayer, shot dead, said the officials, who spoke to NBC News on condition of anonymity because the investigation hasn't been completed.

"This one is ugly," one official told NBC News.

Three Marine officers - commanders in Haditha - have been relieved of duty, and at least 12 Marines in all are under investigation for what would be the worst single incident involving the deliberate killing of civilians by U.S. military in Iraq.

The Marine Corps issued a statement in response to Murtha's remarks:

"There is an ongoing investigation; therefore, any comment at this time would be inappropriate and could undermine the investigatory and possible legal process. As soon as the facts are known and decisions on future actions are made, we will make that information available to the public to the fullest extent allowable."

Murtha held the news conference to mark six months since his initial call for "redeployment" of U.S. forces from Iraq.

He said U.S. forces were under undue pressure in Iraq because of poor planning and allocation of resources by the Bush administration.

--------

The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.

Concern about the incidents increased as a result of several high-profile shootings early last year. The first came in January 2005, when a U.S. Army patrol in Tall Afar in northern Iraq opened fire on an Opel sedan that did not heed warnings to stop.

Killed as they tried to get home ahead of curfew were a husband and wife, Hussein and Kamila Hassan. Bullets paralyzed their 12-year-old son, Rakan. Four of their other children, ages 2 to 14, watched in terror from the back seat, along with a cousin. The shooting gained wide notoriety when pictures of the blood-soaked children ran in Newsweek magazine.

In March 2005, an Italian intelligence agent delivering a rescued hostage was shot and killed at a checkpoint near the Baghdad airport. The soldiers involved said the car was speeding and ignored warnings, but the freed hostage, journalist Giuliana Sgrena, said that the car was traveling at a moderate speed and that she did not see any warning from the troops.

Knight Ridder Newspapers correspondent Steven Thomma contributed to this report.

#26     May 20, 2006
  7. by the way, i heard a rumor...just a rumor that you are a coward who hides in the u.s. defending the crimes of other nazi american soldiers.
    i also heard a rumor that iraq was occupied by marsian and that they are the ones who committed the massacre.
    i also heard a third rumor that your nazi government will never ever sign a war crime treaty for fear that half of your top ranking military officers and the secretary of defense might be dragd like the little children killers they are, to stand trial for their crimes.

just rumors ya know.

#27     May 20, 2006
  8. g222

g222

Oh - and what do you call someone who talks so big and bad while cowering behind the anonymity of the internet ???? Let me think ... I know there must be a name/word/phrase or something.

Not for nothing, riccio, in all wars there are bad things done by both sides ... both sides. The stress of battle hardly brings out the 'saint' in anyone. If this current thing proves to be true, then there should indeed be hell for someone to pay. But I'm just getting damned sick and tired of how incidents by US soldiers - both in this war and past wars - are the only ones that draw out the loudmouths like you.

And by the way ... in what country do you cower in such righteous indignation???

#28     May 20, 2006
  9. Sam123

Sam123 Guest

I heard a rumor that only useful idiots fall for the old Abu Ghraib trick. Just as 20 Sunnis killing 20 Shiites and visa versa doesn’t constitute an Iraqi civil war, isolated military mishaps don't change the moral compass of an overall Iraq campaign that will improve the lives of 26 million people.

#29     May 20, 2006
  10. g222

g222

So true,man. But some get off blubbering that ALL American soldiers are 'nazis' just because of a few isolated incidents. I wonder why none of these US-bashers mention the schools built, hospitals repaired, people fed, & etc by these same US soldiers???

Ever get the idea that this ET space is being infiltrated by isalmic insurgents posing as traders ???

#30     May 20, 2006