Marijuana top U.S. cash crop, bigger than corn and wheat combined

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by JayS, Dec 19, 2006.

1. agreed the price will go down. with it ever be worthless? of course not. Its possible that the crops will actually gain value when other avenues of use open due to legalization. Clothing etc al. How much is the cotton crop worth? and as you said its easier on the soil, unlike cotton.

plus how could they charge anything other than 10$ for a dime bag.... it just would'nt make sense... they would have to change the name and we all know how good potheads are at remembering new information... ruins!

#11     Dec 19, 2006
  2. Let's talk about societal hypocracy. Alcohol is legal and pot is not. Tell me why.

The "it's a gateway drug" is a red herring argument. The only coupling there, is that both pot and hard drugs are illegal. Pot is much less harmful to society (or oneself) than alcohol is. For one thing, no deaths are attributed to pot. Nor violent behavior (In fact quite the opposite).

I used to be a full-time partaker, until a few years ago. My only regrets are that I was not as socially engaging as I might have been, and not as in tune with my true ambitious potential as I could have been.

So the only argument against legalization, that I feel is reasonable, is it causes one, who is more than a "social partaker", to tend to be less productive. But that in itself is a very weak argument.

If more people smoked bud, there would be a lot less wars. :D

#12     Dec 19, 2006
  3. Drew07

Drew07

Not to be a geography nerd but Amsterdam is not a country....its a city in the Netherlands. Passed through there a couple years ago...great place to visit if you like drugs and hookers...I know I had a great time.

#13     Dec 19, 2006
  4. you win. in my own defense. when was the last time you heard someone say 'im going on vacation to the netherlands.' might as well be its own country :p

#14     Dec 19, 2006
  5. Drew07

Drew07

Agreed

#15     Dec 19, 2006
  6. Raul641

Raul641

The only reason it's still illegal is social inertia. People have been raised to think that "drugs" are bad (which, oddly, does not include caffeine, nicotine, or alcohol) and that only social deviants use "drugs". It's also a convenient political bludgeon so that the guy running for office can say he's "tough on crime"; for example, how George W Bush eliminated all federal student aid for anyone convicted of a drug offense. Someone arrested for possession of a joint at a concert at age 15 (which is in itself ridiculous) will not be able to get any federal education aid forever.

This is slowly changing. More progressive states like California just fine you for possession of under an ounce, and San Francisco has directed the police to ignore nonviolent marijuana-related offenses by adults on private property. The rest of the country will follow, it just takes time.

#16     Dec 19, 2006
  7. Back in the '80s, going to a Dead concert at U of Michigan at Ann Arbor, they had a town ordinance of only a $5 fine for simple possession.

We called it the $5 "fatty" fee. :p

#17     Dec 19, 2006
  8. Just imagine the arguments people would get into over whether their kind bud was acceptable for delivery.

#18     Dec 19, 2006
  9. just have to hire a few H/A as analysts.they already have a grading system.:D

#19     Dec 19, 2006
  10. As I smoke my blunt, let me summarize the three main reasons/lobbying interests why marijuana is prohibited

Big pharma — Before any of you start talking crap how the big pharma would benefit from legalized marijuana, think again. They can charge a 10 times bigger markup on THC pills and THC substitutes due to R&D and patents. You cannot patent marijuana, let alone put much of a mark up on it due to the fact that it is one of the easiest plants to grow in any conditions. Little known trivia, Bayer used to sell and market heroin over a 100 years ago.

Cotton industry — The superiority of hemp to cotton is too much. Cotton industry would dwindle down due to serious competition. Think companies such as Monsanto and those giants, they have way too much invested in genetically modified cotton seeds, which are still inferior to the natural non-GMO hemp.

Prison industry/military industrial complex — This is the worst of all, complete corporate evil scum that makes money from locking up ppl, just or not. Yeah, California's three strikes was pushed through by lobbyists, courtesy of companies such as CXW.
    Also, someone mentioned the "wasted" resources by the police, DEA, etc. It's not wasted, it's someone's profits. If drugs were decriminalized, at least half the police force would not be needed, let alone the bureuacratic institutions such as DEA. Lot of jobs at stake, lot of business also.

#20     Dec 19, 2006