Maria Sharapova retires

Discussion in 'Sports' started by dealmaker, Feb 26, 2020.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

Maria Sharapova retires in sad end to amazing tennis career
    By Justin Terranova

February 26, 2020 | 8:25am | Updated

Enlarge Image
    [​IMG]
    Maria Sharapova Barcroft Media via Getty Images
    Maria Sharapova is retiring from tennis, the Russian star announced Wednesday.

The 32-year-old won five grand slam tournaments in her career, her first coming when she burst onto the scene by conquering Wimbledon in 2004.

The latter stages of her career were marred by a 15-month doping ban in 2016 and various injuries that hampered her comeback.

“Looking back now, I realize that tennis has been my mountain,” Sharapova wrote in a retirement essay for Vanity Fair.

“My path has been filled with valleys and detours, but the views from its peak were incredible. After 28 years and five Grand Slam titles, though, I’m ready to scale another mountain — to compete on a different type of terrain. … Tennis showed me the world — and it showed me what I was made of. It’s how I tested myself and how I measured my growth. And so in whatever I might choose for my next chapter, my next mountain, I’ll still be pushing. I’ll still be climbing. I’ll still be growing.”

Sharapova would win all four grand slams in her career, including two French Opens. Her final match will end up being a first-round loss to Donna Vekic at last month’s Australian Open.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/26/maria-sharapova-retires-from-tennis-after-amazing-run-faltered/

2. Pekelo

Pekelo

Oh finally. I couldn't stand the "shrieker". Now tennis is going to be G rated again?

FriskyCat likes this.
  3. Just another PED cheater

4. RRY16

RRY16

She still have you and Wildchild on a restraining order?

5. Unfortunately yes.

Does Rafael Nadal still have you on one, Buttercup?

6. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Why did the author title his story with the words "sad ending" to an amazing tennis career ?

Most champions do not quit while they are at the top of their game. To be more precisely...nobody has ever quit tennis while they were at the top of their game. :D

The exception has been a few that suddenly died.

She was still winning even after her doping scandal but just not winning grand slams. Then again...she still made it to a few finals after the doping scandals and made it to a lot of quarterfinals and semifinals.

Simply, she was still good enough and most tennis stars usually go about 3 - 5 years past their prime before they call it quits. Her prime was around 2012 and all those shoulder injuries finally caught up with her.

She's extremely lucky she was even able to play after 2012...very lucky. Most champion tennis stars call it quits within a few years after such type of injuries.

Now...if she didn't save most of her fortune (she did) and if she didn't have a successful candy store franchise (she does)...that would then be a sad ending.

wrbtrader

7. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

On a side note...many female athletes can get an extra few more years out of their athletic careers after giving birth...a few months to a year off for motherhood and then a 1 - 3 years after that.

Something to do with a boost to their hormone levels and a little reshaping to their bodies although the improvement to athletic performance is only temporary.

I think Serena Williams are the rare exceptions...they're jacked up a little longer. :D

wrbtrader

8. Pekelo

Pekelo

33 year old, almost 200MM net worth, I think it is time to call it. Why would this be sad? Maybe 3 women reached this status ever?

Edit: Serena's net worth is 180 MM with way more championships. So the blonde got the last laugh.

9. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Serena wanted a family and got one and still competing...she's only about 20mil away from Maria. Serena won their last meeting and has a lopsided win ratio (head to head) against Maria like 20 - 2.

The blond tried once...she didn't get a kid and the guy left her for someone else.

Hopefully, retirement will help Maria reach that family she always wanted. She's still young enough to start a family although some act like she's too old.

P.S. Maria looks so much better especially when she's in her candy stores looking very professional (business). :sneaky:

wrbtrader

10. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Want to talk about blonde getting the last laugh:
    Anna Kournikova: 50MM and never won a real tournament (forget about grand slams).

#10     Feb 27, 2020