Margin

Discussion in 'Options' started by nycderivtrader, Jul 20, 2007.

1. All,

I am trying to see what is the rate going with different people on how much $ of an account you will need for short selling options.

For example, someone with a $10k account will be able to sell fewer options than someone with a $20k account. My question is how do the brokers calculate how much you will be allowed to sell, and what is that amount?

NYCDT

2. For IB Reg T (PM is diff):

Short Naked Call = 100% * option market value + maximum (((20% * underlying market value) - out of the money amount), 10% * underlying market value, $2.50 * multiplier * number of contracts). 20% above is 15% for broad based index options.

Short sale proceeds are applied to cash.

Short Naked Put = 100% * option market value + maximum (((20% * (underlying market value) - out of the money amount), 10% * strike price, $2.50 * multiplier * number of contracts). 20% above is 15% for broad based index options.

Short sale proceeds are applied to cash.

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/trading/marginRequirements/stockIndexOptions.php?ib_entity=llc

3. Wayne,

Thank you for directing me to IB. Can you give a numerical example, as I am not sure how to convert what they are saying for the naked....

4. Best way is to activate a papertrading account from IB or TOS, then enter the orders and you'll see the margin computed for you.

Not all brokers compute margin the same, remember