Margin on short SP futures call spreads

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by dcwriter2, Jun 17, 2020.

1. What are the account minimums to sell one OTM SP 500 options (futures, not the index) with say 30 points between the short and long call? I imagine 30 X 250 or $7,500, right? But is there an additional margin that would be required if all I put in a brokerage account was the $7,500? Does it depend on the broker?

2. BAT31

BAT31

Looks like you are trying to trade options on futures. I cannot speak for other brokers, but with TD Ameritrade, you will need Portfolio Margin ($125k) to trade such an instrument. Well, that was the case back in 2016, when I wanted to trade an option on future.

3. Odd.I this the case with all brokers? I alsotalso PM was $250k? Pretty sure I traded options on ES in a small account at IB once, too, without PM, and in an IRA no less.

4. BAT31

BAT31

I cannot answer that.

5. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Don’t options on futures require a futures account, which is different from and unrelated to a PM account?

6. BAT31

BAT31

Since an option on future is a future, I would have to say yes. I mentioned PM, because TDA considers them has "high risk." I tried trading them four years ago on 100K account, and was denied.

7. For some reason, I thought they used SPAN instead of PM.

8. BAT31

BAT31

You should pick up the phone, or submit a support ticket, to your broker to get better informed answers to your questions.

9. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

PM has nothing to do with high risk. It’s a different way of calculating risk that actually gives you more rope.

10. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Yes. Futures use SPAN.

BAT31 doesn’t know what he’s talking about and then being arrogant about his ignorance.

.... and he called me a troll in another thread.

#10     Jun 18, 2020