Margin Call on an IB IRA account (Need Suggestions)

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by developer17, Jun 22, 2005.

1. its horror stories like these that keep me playing in the shallow pond water of stocks only.

#41     Jun 28, 2005
  2. Quah

Quah

Yes, absolutely I'd stop exercise if I had no plans of actually paying for 1600 shares of GOOG - no matter where is closed on Friday.

The Friday close isn't the only important thing here - the most important thing here is the Monday open. If it opens lower than the strike price of your exercised options, you are in a boatload of trouble. So even if GOOG closed at, for example, 285 on Friday - you'd think you were $5 in the money. But that wouldn't stop GOOG from opening at 275 on Monday morning, leaving you holding the bag.

The point is - OTM options could possibly end up being ITM excersizable options at the last minute - and if you don't want to end up being assigned and taking a chance that the underlying opens lower than your assignment price on Monday - you had better tell the OCC you do not want them to be exercised. If you can't be flat - then give non-exercise instructions. It's the only safe and sure thing to do.

#42     Jun 28, 2005
  3. kubilai

kubilai

Actually at 281 near close, he'd just sell the options. With "confidence" increased in the effectiveness of his "strategy", he'll keep using it aiming to build the IRA to $10M, and blow out in short order a few more trades down the line. Gamblers always end up that way, nobody has that much luck.

In contrast, a $20k lesson is well worth it if taken to heart. Trying to blame another party involved (IB) or on exact mechanics of execution just prolongs the pain.

Think that's all I have to say about that...

BTW I did lose close to that amount before on one trade by being stupid, so I understand the pain.

#43     Jun 28, 2005
  4. Quah

Quah

Of course, if the options are marketable - the best thing to do is sell them and be flat.

All I'm saying is that if you don't want to be assigned on options that "appear" to be OTM - then you had better tell the OCC via your broker. You never know what might happen at the last minute.

#44     Jun 28, 2005
  5. Yeah best to stick to plain stocks in a cash account.
    Trading futures you could end up taking delivery of
    40,000 pounds of frozen pork bellies (cut and trimmed)
    if you forget to close out one contract.

#45     Jun 28, 2005
  6. There seems to be plenty of blame to spread around. No "rules" were broken, but both parties should have used more common sense. They share responsibility for creating a $450,000 obligation that was backed by only $800.

A negotiated settlement might be the best course.

Regardless, many of us have had near-misses ... or direct hits. This is a sobering reminder of the multi-faceted risks we face while trading. My hats off to those successfully navigating these treacherous waters over the course of many years.

#46     Jun 28, 2005
  7. Ebo

Ebo

Sorry to hear about your mess.
    You really need to hire a lawyer as the OP suggested.

I do not believe the broker should have even allowed the initial transaction to occur in an IRA, since trading on margin is not allowed. Now it is a question of negligence and improper supervision of your account. In my opinion, I am not a lawyer, it is the broker's liability.

http://www.greencompany.com/

Use this link, and take all ELITE advice with a grain of salt.

Please keep us posted and Good Luck!

#47     Jun 28, 2005
  8. How can you be allocated the shares without putting up any
    initial margin?

Surely the OCC would like to see some initial margin?

#48     Jun 28, 2005
  9. Nordic

Nordic

Quah, "assigned" in the options world only pertains to those being short in the money options positions. Many retail long option holders will refrain from " exercising" their long positions that jsut barely fall ITM on expiration Friday. Usually this is due to the added exercise cost or lack of funds

#49     Jun 28, 2005
  10. JackR

JackR

Perhaps someone could answer this hypothetical:

I have an IB IRA account. I am long 10 contracts of GOOG at 300 (1000 shares).

I have $1K in cash in the account and no other equity.

I elect to exercise the options to buy the 1000 shares of GOOG at 300 because I plan to immediately sell the 1000 shares at 304. (Forget that I could probably sell the options for much more than a $4 premium).

Would IB allow me to exercise the options and generate a $299K debit in a cash account?

If not, why not?

If not, and I have the right to tell IB not to execise upon expiration, don't they have the same obligation to act in a reasonable manner and decline the exercise on my behalf.

#50     Jun 28, 2005