Margin Call movie - 4 stars - available on YouTube

Discussion in 'Trading' started by GordonTheGekko, Oct 21, 2011.

1. just another lame movie for wannabe that dreams of swinging a big one..

#21     Oct 22, 2011
  2. atticus:

Atticus is correct. This has no resemblance of a Real Situation. It's pure bullshit.

This is made for all those main street movie goers and 99% of ET who have never been in the industry.

Once again, does not come close to WallStreet, the first move.

It was entertaining..

OWSers need to see this movie...may piss them off more.
    :cool:

#22     Oct 22, 2011
  3. lwlee

lwlee

Just saw it. Awesome. Much better than Wall Street 2 and Too Big to Fail.

#23     Oct 23, 2011
  4. What's this shit?! Our CDO/CDO^2s are losing monies? om nom nom. We should probably run risk in real-time rather than EOY.

I think this was secretly a Oliver Stone movie made to make WS2 look better by comparison. I didn't expect "Citizen Kane" but c'mon. The risk-hole was vital to the plot and it was beyond absurd. I can't believe the reaction on this thread.

#24     Oct 23, 2011
  5. Do any of you guys actually work in the industry?

Atticus is right, the movie revolves around a plot device that is patently ridiculous. It is too unrealistic to even watch all the way through.

#25     Oct 23, 2011
  6. Would you sell, if you knew you were selling a completely worthless asset?

#26     Oct 23, 2011
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

Well, in defense of the writers, I see 3 possibilities:

1. The writer wasn't an expert, and he got bad advice.
    2. They dumbed it down, and wanted to focus on the human side of the crisis, not on the technicalities...
    3. They wanted the hole story to take place in a relative short period of time...

Remember, this was made for the average moviegoer, not for the industry. Had they put all the correct technical talks in it with the correct time frame, the suspense part would have suffered a lot and it would have been way too boring...

One other way they could have gone with the story is to have a 6 sigma event (quick market drop) that wasn't expected, effecting the firm. But that way every other firm would have been affected, and in this story, part of the crisis was that they were the first, basicly to cause the selloff....

#27     Oct 23, 2011
  8. Can someone translate what jack said above? I don't speak his language (whatever it is).

#28     Oct 23, 2011
  9. Saw the "Margin Call has no Hollywood gobbledygook hindering the story behind Lehman and Oct '08" comments on here, checked out the trailer, and my initial response was "WTF?" It might be a decent lemonade flick, but any connection with reality or "trading" is clearly tenuous at best.

Ah, I just noticed which sock puppet started this love fest...

#29     Oct 23, 2011
  10. That was in the trailer.

Fell off the couch laughing.

Which I'm fairly confident wasn't the desired effect.

:)

#30     Oct 23, 2011