Margin Call movie - 4 stars - available on YouTube

Discussion in 'Trading' started by GordonTheGekko, Oct 21, 2011.

1. GordonTheGekko

GordonTheGekko Guest

Ref: Movie availability - the show is available on YouTube and iTunes, as well as any on demand service right now. See link in first post for YouTube.

Saw the movie last night. It was remarkable seeing a clean, but still borderline trashy theatre in Manhattan flooded by street guys who look like they just came from 21 Club.

It was excellent - while I liked WS2 (Michael Douglas) unlike most guys, Margin Call has no Hollywood gobbledygook hindering the story behind Lehman and Oct '08. It's quaint how something like this that didn't come from southern California is 100% accurate and clean...

Any traders, especially those in the mist of 2008 on the street, should see this sometime. 99.9% of movies, IMO, are garbage, but this is worth peoples time.

Note: this is a (large) independent film that is available in only a few theaters, so it is available on iTunes, YouTube, Comcast, directv, etc. right now.

#11     Oct 22, 2011
  2. It isn't available in Canada from iTunes and YouTube.. Sigh...

EDIT: I guess I'll just pirate it or something... too bad, I was willing to pay and see it.

#12     Oct 22, 2011
  3. Oh plz. Stanley Tucci discovers dv01 the day he's canned. Hands-off the thumb drive to his rocket-scientist protege who adds the missing piece to the puzzle while listening to folkrock on his earbuds. 20 traders and 2 risk managers in a global bank and apparently the only ones (risk guys) privy to the banks imminent collapse.

I stopped watching after pulling an ab muscle from laughing. Completely fcuking absurd. The screenwriter should be waterboarded.

This thread is an IQ test if there ever was one.

#13     Oct 22, 2011
  4. Three others of note:

Moneyball to understand how self selection can work. It also shows how a father can keep up with a daughter who has everything very straight.

Insidejob to watch how arrogant people find out in an interview their pants have been down for a while. The most special scene is the guy giving the interviewer less and less time as he, the interviewee, finishes his getting fucked over.

The Temple Grandin Story. Here you get to find out how a special person is able to find out what is going on and then design the consumate solutions to the problems others are having. One especially nice section is when some very ignorant people torch her design and kill several cattle as they fuck up.

In sum, you see a guy who turned down Berkley do a real intellectual comeback. You see an autisitc child get a PhD and the respect of the entire feeder/grower industry. and lastly you see scriptwriters, who really know what is going on, script an actor who really eats up a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I liked the WS 1 and 2 since they had so much bullshit wrapped in scenery and speed. Reminded me of a few days with the "big time" where they were sooooo stuuupid. I mean I caused shock and awe when I ordered a dirty martini.

I do not know how many years out it will be .....but all of you are in for a real surprise someday........

#14     Oct 22, 2011

5. Dude... it's just entertainment, if people want to watch these "wallstreet dramas" for fact they are mistaken about what the movies are all about.

You're a trader (presumably,) we live in a culture that doesn't exactly understand or idolize trading (that is, the majority doesn't.) At least we get these small breaks to enjoy something semi-related to our work.. even if the movies only serve to make a mockery of what we do.

It's just comedy.. drama.. fiction... try not to burst blood vessels over it.

#15     Oct 22, 2011
  6. Movie felt unfinished. I guess Magin Call 2 will be after the bell rings on the that trading day.

#16     Oct 22, 2011
  7. Margin Call.....not that great.

#17     Oct 22, 2011
  8. here is the link below to watch the movie.

http://www.letmewatchthis.com/watch-movies/2011/watch-margin-call-19434/

choose videoweed.com or potlucker.com as they are the best streaming links. I usually let it load for about 45 minutes while im working on something else then i come back to it and watch it.

letmewatchthis.com is the main site. Great for free movies and and tv show ever with all episodes.

Enjoy.

#18     Oct 22, 2011
  9. Presumably you're the target audience... a complete meathead who has the innate ability to suspend disbelief for such an extended period. A test pattern has more content.

#19     Oct 22, 2011
  10. heh atticus, this is just a movie not a documentary. If your expectation was anything different than we all need iq tests.

Everyone knows the story is absurd (so is most hollywood dramas) but that doesnt mean it cant be enjoyable. I liked it /shrug

#20     Oct 22, 2011