Margin Account trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by tinytrader, Dec 20, 2008.

1. I have been trading equities in a cash account.

I have some questions about a margin account. I am educated on the differences between standard and pattern day-trading accounts.

With a margin account, do you avoid the T+3 stock clearing time period after selling? Always waiting for the cash to clear I really miss some opportunities and wish to find a way to avoid the wait.

If this T+3 cannot be avoided, how do people day-trade everyday? That would take a large amount of cash in a margin account.

Thank you for educating me. I search for this answer on the internet and did not find a clear statement.

2. rwk

rwk

In a regular margin account, you have immediate access to your funds for trading as soon as you liquidate something. You still have T+3 for withdrawals. The PDT rule has nothing to do with margin/cash. You also need a margin account for selling short.

Some brokers (e.g. IBKR) offer a restricted margin account for tax-advantaged customers (i.e. IRA's). It gets around the T+3 rules but does not allow the use of leverage.

All customers are subject to PDT rules. The only way around that is to become a proprietary trader.

3. Just for your info as well, options are T+1, and futures have nothing at all and no day trading rules!

4. ssbc19

ssbc19

PDT only applies to margin accounts, not cash.

5. All good replies. Therefore, no T+3 waiting for margin accounts while trading, excluding a withdraw.

That explains how to day-trade each and every day without the cash account problem of free-riding.

I understand the margin account is needed for shorting.

And I like the Futures way of doing things, no PDT to worry about, muc simpler!

Thank you for your time.