March madness picks?!? Are you kidding me??

Discussion in 'Politics' started by LEAPup, Mar 16, 2011.

1. pspr

pspr

Corporations and unions cannot give gigantic donations to candidates. The CAN run their own unlimited campaign ads, however.

#41     Mar 17, 2011
  2. Right, simply cutting out the middle man. This is where most of the money goes anyway.

c

#42     Mar 17, 2011
  3. pspr

pspr

I agree that it diminshes the impact of individual opinion on elections. Personally, I would like to see all campaign spending stopped unless it comes from the candidate or the party headquarters. Let individual campaign contributions be the only contributions.

#43     Mar 17, 2011
  4. Campaign finance has always been a tough one. We don't really want just rich guys paying for their own elections - Ross Perot, Edwards, Kerry, Bloomberg, or even the Koch brothers.

Do we really want to send $1.00 with our 1040 to fund a slush fund to be sprinkled about among hundreds of candidates?

Perhaps a simple limit on spending, as opposed to fund raising. Eliminate the need for lobbyist money.

And, to add to all this. Do as the British are supposed to do, limit the campaigning time frame to 3 months or something similar. Let the winners have some time to stop running their campaigns, and start running their districts or country.

c

#44     Mar 17, 2011
  5. Then apparently you missed the 1998 comments from Madeleine Albright, Bill Clinton, Howard Dean and Sandy Berger, three years BEFORE Bush took office.

Or do you think Bush started "using false info to sell" them three years before he became president?

#45     Mar 17, 2011
  6. LEAPup

LEAPup

How many of you would vote for Donald Trump if he ran in 2012?

He did hit the nail on the head saying, "there is no leadership at all in Washington today."

I'd love to have Ron Paul, but I wouldn't rule out "the Donald."

#46     Mar 17, 2011
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

He wouldn't be my first choice, hard for me to respect a guy with such a severe comb over.

In the end though I will vote for WHOEVER runs against Dumbo.

#47     Mar 17, 2011
  8. pspr

pspr

Keep turning over rocks. The right guy is out there under one somewhere.

#48     Mar 17, 2011
  9. The problem with this and any other restriction is that the media cannot legally be restricted. First Amendment. So a rich person or a corporation with a vital interest in an issue is censored, but if they buy a newspaper they can write about their pet issue every day.

That doesn't seem very fair to me.

#49     Mar 17, 2011
  10. If we're going to talk longshots, let's throw Pat Buchanan into the mix. I don't agree with him on everything, but overall I'd take him in a heartbeat over the rest of these jokers. The Donald won't stand up under the heat when it get's turned up for real. I can see him getting all flustered and telling someone to fuck off right in front of God and everyone. While that would be fun to watch, we need some serious people to pull us out of the bind we're in. The current line up of potential candidates leaves me wanting.

#50     Mar 17, 2011