March Madness - 2007

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Wayne Gibbous, Mar 11, 2007.

1. man, I had my dobuts early in the season, what a way to FINISH!
    we own Ohio State...

#51     Apr 3, 2007
  2. ElCubano

ElCubano

yes...it was a crazy time...I was living with 2 girls at the time. They both got taken out of school and i weas left with one hell of a pad for myself. Anyways, the first day was just that one killing then the next day 2 more and the 3rd day another dead, then people sdtarted to get really freaked out, then the 4th day another 2 and it included a 250 pound cuban 20 year old from miami ; thats when the school closed down and they had a curfew no one on the streets after dark unless it was for work..the bars and clubs where a ghost town. We were armed to the gills ak-47 9milli's and a whole lot of krypiiii...there was cops as far as atlanta pulling double duty just to get this f**cker..I mean when i heard a 250lbs young athletic man got his head chopped off..even the elcubano got shills up his spine...it was crazy to say the least....it was a real ghost town...

#52     Apr 3, 2007
  3. ElCubano

ElCubano

yes we do....although i was playing poker and watching from the corner of my eyes ; I dont think they ever had a lead...peace

#53     Apr 3, 2007
  4. Yeah, I was out of school for quite awhile before that happened.

Very bad stuff. One of my old girlfriends lived in an apt complex where that guy killed a girl. Forgot that scumbag was named Rollins.

I thought you meant Rollins College. I hung out there some when I lived in Orlando. Nice little school.

Best to all.

#54     Apr 3, 2007
  5. Message to Gator nation: This is only calm before storm
    By Gary Parrish, CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer, April 5, 2007
    [​IMG]
    Give Billy Donovan at least
    two more years, and he's off
    to the pros.
    (Getty Images)

Congratulations, Florida fans.

You're keeping your coach ... for two years, tops.

That's my guess, and it's an educated guess. Because I don't believe Billy Donovan necessarily chose Florida over Kentucky Thursday morning. I think he chose the NBA over Kentucky, meaning he has visions of the next level -- just like Al Horford, Joakim Noah, Corey Brewer and Taurean Green.

"After finally having an opportunity to sit down with my family, and with (athletic director) Jeremy Foley, I've decided that I will remain at the University of Florida," Donovan said. "I have great respect for the University of Kentucky, its great history and tradition, and I had five wonderful years in Lexington. That being said, I'm very proud of what we've built here at the University of Florida and I look forward to continuing to build on it."

But for how long?

Not very, I suspect.

Donovan's mantra is the clichéd Live in the Moment, but he's far too smart to plan his life that way. The 41 year-old is always thinking two steps ahead, and Thursday's non-step to a fellow SEC program indicates he's got his eyes set on other things.

Like the NBA.

It's long been assumed Donovan would eventually bolt for the professional ranks, and why not? That move has been a natural progression for many successful college coaches, specifically Rick Pitino, John Calipari, Mike Montgomery, Lon Kruger and Tim Floyd. So the idea Donovan will someday follow suit isn't farfetched, particularly given how he's been the target of speculation involving the New York Knicks, Miami Heat and, most recently, Memphis Grizzlies.

What does that have to do with Thursday?

Plenty, actually.

See, it makes no sense for Donovan to move to Kentucky if his immediate desires are more NBA-related. Kentucky is a career-finishing job, not a stepping stone to something else. In other words, Donovan going to Kentucky for eight years is perfect. But Donovan going to Kentucky for one or two years before accepting an NBA offer would be silly based on the following three situations it would create.

1. Florida fans would hate him for leaving for Kentucky.

2. Kentucky fans would hate him for leaving so soon for the NBA.

3. In the end, two fan bases would hate him, fair or unfair.

Now that doesn't sound fun, does it?

But by staying at Florida Donovan has cemented his off-the-court legacy to match the on-the-court legacy that automatically comes with two national titles. He was presented the opportunity to take over perhaps the premier program in college basketball and decided to pass. Consequently, Florida fans won't hate him and Kentucky fans can't hate him because they never even had him.

As for the NBA, the same Florida fans who would not have understood a move to another SEC school would certainly understand the lure of the NBA, or at least they should. And make no mistake, it is quite a lure. For most everybody, Donovan included.

Do you believe it's a coincidence he's represented by Career Sports & Entertainment, an agency full of NBA coaches?

I don't.

Think of the current college coaches whose names are most connected to the NBA, guys like Donovan, Tom Izzo and Tom Crean. Want to know what they all have in common (besides a Final Four, of course)? They are all represented by Career Sports & Entertainment because, presumably, they all know CEO Lonnie Cooper is probably best equipped to get them involved with good opportunities at the NBA level and they'd all like to be involved with good opportunities at the NBA level.

So again, congratulations, Florida fans.

You're keeping your coach ... for two years, tops.

http://www.sportsline.com/print/collegebasketball/story/10110720/2

[​IMG] http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/teams/schedule/FL

#55     Apr 6, 2007
  6. I just hope it works out better than ol' Steve Superior did! :p

#56     Apr 6, 2007
  7. Maverick74

Maverick74

What utter and complete bullshit. What a freaking dissapointment. This is why it's so hard to enjoy sports today. There is no loyalty anywhere. Billy is gone. So much for building a dynasty. What a crock. Thanks for taking the money Billy. Good luck. You are going to hate the NBA.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...5nYcB?slug=ap-magic-donovan&prov=ap&type=lgns

[​IMG]

Official: Donovan leaving Florida to coach Orlando Magic

By TRAVIS REED, Associated Press Writer
    May 31, 2007

AP - May 31, 6:08 pm EDT

ORLANDO (AP) -- After leading Florida to two national titles, Billy Donovan has agreed to leave the Gators to coach the Orlando Magic, an official in the NBA told The Associated Press on Thursday.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal hasn't been finalized, said Donovan agreed to a five-year, $27.5 million contract.

Donovan, who turned down an offer in April to coach Kentucky, replaces Brian Hill, who was fired after two consecutive losing seasons.

Donovan, his agent and Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley didn't return phone messages left by The AP. School president Bernie Machen, who was attending a meeting of Southeastern Conference officials, declined comment.

The Magic fired Hill last week after two straight losing seasons, though the team made its first postseason appearance this year in four tries but lost to Detroit.

Speculation that Donovan would leave Gainesville seemed to end after he turned down Kentucky and said, "I love the University of Florida." He was also linked to the Memphis Grizzlies' job, but never had formal talks with them and repeatedly refused to comment about any open coaching positions.

He said he intended to sign an extension at Florida, where he was making $1.7 million annually.

At an NBA pre-draft camp, Donovan's former players said they hadn't heard anything about him switching jobs.

"I've talked to him, just not about that," Al Horford said.

If he's going to go, now could be the best time for Donovan. Florida lost its top seven scorers after the season, including potential top-10 NBA picks Joakim Noah, Horford and Corey Brewer.

Donovan's made it to the NCAA title game three times in his 11 years at the traditionally football-oriented school. Under him, Florida has had nine straight 20-win seasons, nearly doubling the amount it had before his arrival.

#57     May 31, 2007
  8. Not so fast...Billy has had a change of heart and is backing out of the contract...Stan Van Gundy to be named coach today

#58     Jun 4, 2007
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

Unf*cking real.

#59     Jun 4, 2007
  10. Tell me about it....they sent me this e-mail last week

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Communications Contacts: Joel Glass (407) 916-2631, jglass@orlandomagic.com/George Galante (407) 916-2633, ggalante@orlandomagic.com

May 31, 2007

MAGIC NAME BILLY DONOVAN HEAD COACH
    Leader of Florida’s back-to-back NCAA Champions becomes eighth Magic head coach

Orlando, FL – The Orlando Magic have named Billy Donovan head coach, General Manager Otis Smith announced today. Per team policy, terms of the deal are not disclosed. Donovan becomes the eighth head coach in franchise history, replacing Brian Hill.

“Billy Donovan is a winner,” said Smith. “We feel he is the right person to develop and maximize the talents of our players. We look forward to Billy leading us to the next level.”

Donovan spent the last 11 seasons as head coach at the University of Florida, compiling a record of 261-103 (.717). He guided the Gators to nine straight 20-win seasons, a school-record nine consecutive NCAA Tournament berths, three trips to the NCAA Championship Game (2000, 2006, 2007) and back-to-back NCAA Men’s Division I Championships in 2006 and 2007.

Last season (2006-07), Donovan’s Florida team posted a 35-5 mark, setting a school-record for most wins during a single season. The Gators captured the Southeastern Conference regular season basketball title and the SEC Tournament championship for the third consecutive year. Florida then rolled through the NCAA Tournament, becoming the first Division I team to repeat as national champions since Duke accomplished the feat in 1991-92.

Donovan leaves Florida as the school’s all-time winningest coach. Prior to Donovan’s arrival to Gainesville on Mar. 27, 1996, the University of Florida had just one SEC championship in 77 seasons. During his 11-year tenure (1996-2007), Donovan tallied three SEC regular season crowns (2000, 2001, 2007) and won back-to-back-to-back SEC Tournament titles (2005-07). He led the Gators to the school’s first-ever appearance in the National Championship Game in 2000 and their first-ever No. 1 national ranking (both AP and ESPN/USA Today polls) on Feb. 3, 2003. Donovan also became one of only three people (Dean Smith, Bobby Knight) to play in the NCAA Final Four and win the national title as a head coach.

Donovan began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at the University of Kentucky in 1989-90. He spent five years on Rick Pitino’s staff at Kentucky (1989-94), helping the Wildcats reach the NCAA Final Four in 1993. During his stay at UK, the Wildcats went 122-38 (.762).

In March of 1994, Donovan was named the head coach at Marshall University. He inherited a program that went 9-18 in 1993-94, but quickly turned things around. During his first year, Donovan guided the Thundering Herd to an 18-9 mark and a North Division title in the Southern Conference. In two seasons under Donovan, Marshall posted a record of 35-20 (.636).

Donovan played point guard at Providence College from 1983-87. Originally considered undersized and underdeveloped, Rick Pitino arrived in 1985 and the once part-time player thrived under the new system and finished his career as one of the premier players in Friars history. As a senior (1986-87), he averaged 20.6 ppg. and shot .409 (97-237) from three-point range. He earned honorable mention All-America (UPI) honors and led Providence on a magical ride to the 1987 NCAA Final Four. Donovan was led the Southeast Regional’s Most Outstanding Player. He was inducted into the Providence College Hall of Fame in June of 1999 and was named to the 10-man All-Time Providence Civic Center Team in January of 1999.

Originally selected in the third round (68th overall) of the 1987 NBA Draft by Utah, Donovan was waived by the Jazz during the preseason. After a brief stint in the CBA with Wyoming, Donovan signed as a free agent with the New York Knicks, where he saw action in 44 games during the 1987-88 season.

A native of Rockville Centre, N.Y., Donovan was born on May 30, 1965. He earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in general social studies from Providence in 1987. He and his wife, Christine, have four children, William (15), Hasbrouck (13), Bryan (10) and Connor (5).

For Orlando Magic ticket information, call (407) 89-MAGIC or log on to orlandomagic.com.

Billy Donovan’s Coaching Record

Season Team Record Pct. Postseason Finish

1994-95 Marshall 18-9 .667 --

1995-96 Marshall 17-11 .608 --

1996-97 Florida 13-17 .433 --

1997-98 Florida 14-15 .483 NIT First Round

1998-99 Florida 22-9 .710 NCAA Sweet 16

1999-00 Florida 29-8 .783 NCAA Runner-Up

2000-01 Florida 24-7 .744 NCAA Second Round

2001-02 Florida 22-9 .710 NCAA First Round

2002-03 Florida 25-8 .758 NCAA Second Round

2003-04 Florida 20-11 .645 NCAA First Round

2004-05 Florida 24-8 .750 NCAA Second Round

2005-06 Florida 33-6 .846 NCAA Champions

2006-07 Florida 35-5 .875 NCAA Champions

TOTALS 13 years 296-123 .706 NCAA Champions (2006, 2007)

####

George Galante
    ORLANDO MAGIC
    Assistant Director of Communications
    (407) 916-2633 Direct
    (407) 916-2830 Fax
    8701 Maitland Summit Blvd.
    Orlando, FL 32810-5915
    www.orlandomagic.com

This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you may not use, copy, disclose or take any action based on this e-mail. If you have received this message in error, please promptly delete it and notify the sender of the error.

#60     Jun 4, 2007