Marc Rich (1935-2013) Dead

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Maverick74, Jun 26, 2013.

1. d08

d08

Snowden IS a hero, as these days it's the government and corporate america vs. the people.

Snowden did it for principles, Rich had no principles.

#41     Jun 27, 2013
  2. looks like even in death, controversies follow him!

#42     Jun 27, 2013
  3. sle

sle

Jews never had had a dominant role in the North American slave trade, probably under 5% in total volume/profits. But thank you for yet another urban legend.

I think there is a big difference between buying oil from Iran in the 80s and trafficking in sex slaves. While I don't admire the guy, there is nothing especially morally wrong about trading with the "enemy". Soviet Union was The Enemy at the time too and I can assure you that it was not the Evil Empire that American's were led to believe.

So, to revert to Maverick74s argument, in my world there are moral variables and there are moral constants.

#43     Jun 27, 2013
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

Trading with the enemy was...

Remind me of Napoleon. He banned trading with England for the whole Europe, this was called the Continental System. But just because he didn't like the British, that doesn't mean other countries agreed with his ban, thus little Portugal got attacked for not behaving according to Napi's wishes. Who do you think was right, the Corsican or Portugal?

Why, the US right now doesn't buy oil from despots??? And speaking of embargos, what do you think of sharing a good Cuban cigar? :)

#44     Jun 27, 2013
  5. Yeah sure, an extreme analogy, but where do you draw the line when the guy is dealing illegally with Pinochet and Ceausescu? Both of whom were guilty of genocide.

#45     Jun 27, 2013
  6. Pekelo

Pekelo

Let me counter offer a similar example. Any Apple product. Are you aware that most of them are basicly made by slaves and/or political prisoners? In factories where they have a suicide net on the buildings, because the workers would rather jump out of the windows than work there anymore.

So throw your Ipod, Ipad, IApple away, if you don't like blood diamonds!

If you doubt me, here is a letter from a Chinese worker (political prisoner), found in a Kmart product recently by a costumer:

"Sir:
    If you occasionally buy this product, please kindly resend this letter to the World Human Right Organization. Thousands people here who are under the persicution [sic] of the Chinese Communist Party Government will thank and remember you forever.

This product produced by Unit 8, Department 2, Mashanjla Labour Camp, Shen Young, Liaoning, China.

People who work here have to work 15 hours a day without Saturday (or) Sunday break and any holidays, otherwise they will suffer torturement [sic], beat and rude remark, nearly no payment (10 Yuan/one month).

People who work here suffer punishment 1-3 years averagelly [sic], but without court sentence. Many of them are Falun Gong practitioners who are totally innocent people.
    Only because they have different believe [sic] to the CCPG, they often suffer more punishment than others."

http://au.businessinsider.com/author-of-kmart-factory-letter-found-2013-6

#46     Jun 27, 2013
  7. I'd love the opportunity to whack the guy.

#47     Jun 27, 2013
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

Pekelo, I know all about Foxcon. Talk to Al Gore if you have a problem with AAPL. He sits on their board. I guess he cares more about the trees then the suicidal children in the Foxcon factory. And no, I'm not a fan of AAPL and I've known about their shit for years. It's not a great analogy though. As BAD as Foxcon is, those workers are NOT forced to work there. And their wage is actually comparable to anything else they could get in that slum. There is a difference between having your hands cut off at the wrist because some thug thinks your hiding a few diamonds in your shirt while working 20 hours a day under gun point. If you have a problem with AAPL, talk to Gore. Remember, he is for the poor and downtrodden. At least that is what it says on the side of his 100x carbon footprint producing private jet.

#48     Jun 27, 2013
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

You still don't get it. And every time I read one of your posts my IQ drops 10 pts so I have to watch my risk levels here.

Let's cut to the chase, you're a fan of Marc Rich? Let me guess, you're a liberal too? Let me further guess, you hated Bush because he started wars for oil. Let me ask you again, you're a fan of Marc Rich?

#49     Jun 27, 2013