Marc Rich (1935-2013) Dead

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Maverick74, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

Surf, I'm not talking about the law. Where in my post did I ever mention the law. I'm talking about WHERE he GOT his oil FROM. I could give two shits about what he did or did not pay in taxes. This is EXACTLY why the child trafficking analogy was valid.

#31     Jun 27, 2013
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

The oil was NOT banned. Where are you guys getting these irrelevant details from?

#32     Jun 27, 2013
  3. +1

The guy bought embargoed oil from despots at $12 and sold it at $25 to US corps. He did this for >13 years. Obviously we're not talking about free-market economics or capitalism here.

#33     Jun 27, 2013
  4. omg really? You familiar with the UN? If child-trafficking were declared legal in some sub-Saharan African shithole it would make it ok?

Edit: I just saw Mav's reference to child-trafficking. I didn't realize I was making a similar analogy.

#34     Jun 27, 2013

5. was the oil embargoed worldwide?

How are you defining despot? an enemy of the U.S.? Are you aware of the morality of everyone on the other side of your trades? If one of the folks you traded with was a truly evil person, would you quash the trade?

This seems like really grey area to me-- but admittally I dont' know all the facts. I am certainly not defending MR, but maybe someone could explain how what he did was equivelent to child trafficking?

surf

#35     Jun 27, 2013
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

Surf,take a day off and google Marc Rich, or better yet, there are countless books out there about him. The TV show 60 Minutes did a few exposes on him over the years. Learn a little more about the backstory. You are acting as if he is a legitimate guy that just had some bad vices.

Let me offer one more analogy. You are familiar with blood diamonds out of Africa right? People who are forced into slavery and tortured and killed over extracting these diamonds out of the soil and then selling them on the open market for huge profits. Same thing. The money is made because the commodity, in this case diamonds, is being acquired at less then wholesale costs because of the nature of the forced labor. That allows these ruthless dictators to amass huge fortunes and power off the destruction of others. This is not a LEGAL opinion or one where I simply disagree with some other countries culture or way of life or politics. You would be hard pressed to find anyone in the western world that would view blood diamonds as "subjective" based on one's own morality.

#36     Jun 27, 2013
  7. Ok, Mav, thanks. Like I stated, I am not defending him as my knowledge is weak regarding his crimes---but he did receive a presidential pardon which I don't think a really bad guy could ever obtain regardless of monies or influence--- with that said, this remains a fascinating story which I will look into deeper.

#37     Jun 27, 2013
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

OMG Surf, do you some reading and you will see EXACTLY why he got that pardon. Surf, you really don't know the backstory between the Clintons, Marc Rich and Vince Foster and all the murders? Just type in Marc Rich and Hilary Clinton in google and poor yourself a cold one and sit back and read. I'm shocked you know so little about this guy. Probably the most corrupt businessman to ever live. I'm dead serious, I can't think of anyone worse.

#38     Jun 27, 2013
  9. pemully

pemully

it was Michael steinhardt who wrote directly to Clinton asking him to pardon Marc.Afterall steinhardt had backed him financially and Clinton knew he might need all the friends he can get after retirement.I can't blame him.

#39     Jun 27, 2013
  10. Yes, the Israelis stick together. Newsflash. Hey, if I were surrounded by ppls who wanted to behead me then I would form a pretty strong clique as well. Oh, wait a sec....

#40     Jun 27, 2013