Marc Rich (1935-2013) Dead

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Maverick74, Jun 26, 2013.

1. I have read the original book Metal Men by Craig Copetas (it is the best - now perhaps out of print) fascinating persona but quite without scruples.

#11     Jun 26, 2013
  2. d08

d08

He pretty much had the same role as other Jews before him did during the North American slave trade, not responsible if looking at ownership but responsible for transportation and profiting.

#12     Jun 26, 2013
  3. from the different view points presented here, it boils down to every one talks their book and will burn the book of others

nothing changes

you do what is needed to survive, every one has their limits (until hell breaks out, then you might up it a notch)

rip, marc

#13     Jun 26, 2013
  4. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

What I dislike in his case is simply how the US once again handled an international problem. Once they decide someone is a criminal on US soil, international and other country's laws don't apply anymore. They send undercover agents to kidnap him instead of using lawful recourse or international court indictment...I remember reading in the book that, at one point, swiss officials would have cooperated if the US had simply introduced a formal demand...

And by the way, he certainly did bad things morally, but how does that help the people of those countries when they can't even sell their national production? How does that help people of Ivory Coast if international community decides it's bad to buy cocoa from Gbagbo? It can destabilize a regime and force a revolution for sure, but in the meantime it exacerbâtes the exact things the regime is known for( terrorism, murders )...I understand the political need for embargos but I am not sure it has good effects in real life .Whatever, I mustn't have a conscience...:p

#14     Jun 27, 2013
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

What the US govt did or did not do is a straw man. It's completely irrelevant to the character of the man. As to "helping the people" in those poor countries. You are very naive if you think even a dollar of that oil money ever fed a starving child or sick woman. The money goes to dictators. In fact, the very money they make from selling that oil is actually used to kill women and children. It's one of the reasons why I am so against foreign aid. The US has sent billions to these unstable parts of the world all in the name of "helping the needy" when in fact, the needy starve and dictators grow wealthy. And btw, I'm not even a big fan of embargos, I'm simply saying as far as Marc Rich is concerned, the manner in which he accumulated his wealth is disgusting. I'm all for capitalism and a free market but that implies one is getting that "capital" through honest means. Otherwise hell, let me get myself a gun and just start taking it from people. Who needs laws right.

#15     Jun 27, 2013
  6. What this case proves that in America, as most every place else, if you make enough money, morals, ethics, and the law itself become very subjective.

#16     Jun 27, 2013
  7. tortoise

tortoise

no such thing as "traitors," anymore. snowden's a "hero," you know. it's now a free-for-all. didn't you get the memo?

#17     Jun 27, 2013
  8. Don't think Snowden's case is an appropriate analogy to Rich's.

#18     Jun 27, 2013
  9. ...but quite the antithesis....man with a moral compass vs. a vermin with zero integrity.

Truth is Treason & criminals whom accrue a large enough sum are rewarded.

Good Riddance.....`nuff said!

#19     Jun 27, 2013
  10. Ash1972

Ash1972

I'm sure most of the striving traders on ET genuinely admire and envy a man who managed to do so enormously well for himself trading commodities. The fact is, we are trying to make money on a level playing field, speculating on price changes. He had a very lucrative playing field all to himself as a result of his ability and willingness to bend the law.

#20     Jun 27, 2013
    blakpacman likes this.