many religious meat eaters don't care about killing animals

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Weeble, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Weeble

Weeble

yesterday some people were cooking hot dogs n stuff. i was asked if i wanted something. i said that i don't eat meat. some people were like, "why?" i didn't want to get all into it, but basically, i just said that i don't like to kill things.

some girl my friend knew spilled this garbage out of her mouth: "the bible says like everything is here for us, so i think it's ok." this girl was talking to me as if she had a real point to make. i'm thinking in my head, this girl has no idea who she's talkin to. i thought to myself, "don't even waste your time debating her." i just replied to her that i was not religious and it pretty much ended there.

my point is... funny how a "bad" non-believer, like myself, is supposed to be going to hell, yet many people like me appreciate life more than you "good" religious people do. it is so pathetic it makes me sick.

2. damir00

damir00 Guest

it's a load of crap. there are going to be a whole bunch of surprised fundamentalists when they show up at the pearly gates and have a conversation with saint peter...

peter: so...christian?
    fundie: absolutely, praise the lord!
    peter: so...you accept G-d created everything?
    fundie: absolutely, praise the lord!
    peter: so...why did you buy stock in companies pouring batter acid in rivers created by G-d?
    fundie: ah....what?
    peter: you spent your life pissing all over G-d's creation and you think we're letting you into heaven so you can do more of the same?
    fundie: ah....what?

peter pulls the lever on the trap door.

3. http://fusionanomaly.net/vegetarianism.html

* It takes 2,500 gallons of water, 12 pounds of grain, 35 pounds of topsoil and the energy equivalent of one gallon of gasoline to produce one pound of feedlot beef.
    * 70% of US grain production is fed to livestock.
    * 5 million acres of rainforest are felled every year in South and Central America alone to create cattle pasture.
    * Roughly 20% of all currently threatened and endangered species in the US are harmed by livestock grazing.
    * Animal agriculture is a chief contributor to water pollution.
    * America's farm animals produce 10 times the waste produced by the human population.
    [...]

Land Utilization and Soil Erosion

One-half of the Earth's land mass is grazed by livestock.[1]

More than 60% of the world's rangelands were damaged by overgrazing during the past half century.[2]

As much as 85% of rangeland in the western US is being degraded by overgrazing.[3]

Overgrazing is by far the most pervasive cause of desertification.[4]

35 pounds of topsoil are lost in the production of one pound of grain-fed beef.[5]

64% of US cropland produces livestock feed.[6]

Only 2% of US cropland produces fruits and vegetables.[7]

Pounds of edible product that can be produced on an acre of prime land:
    Apples 20,000
    Carrots 30,000
    Potatoes 40,000
    Tomatoes 50,000
    Beef 250
    Water Consumption
    The number of gallons of water needed to produce one pound of edible product: [9,10]
    Apples 49
    Carrots 33
    Potatoes 24
    Tomatoes 23
    Beef 2,500

Endangered Species

At least 100 animals are added to the endangered species list each year.[11]

Between 19 and 22% of all threatened and endangered species are harmed by livestock grazing.[12]

Rainforest Destruction

5 million acres of rainforest are felled every year in South and Central America to create cattle pasture.[13]

Cattle ranching has destroyed more Central American rainforest than any other activity.[14]

70% of cleared forests in Panama and Costa Rica are now in pasture.[15]

Pollution

Manure produced by all farm animals in the US annually is roughly
    10 times the waste produced by the human population.[16]

Factory farms are the biggest contributors to polluted rivers and streams in the US.[17]

1,785 water bodies were impaired by feedlot pollution in 39 states in 1993.[18]

About 60,000 miles of streams in the US have fisheries impaired by feedlot pollution.[19]

More soot is emitted from the grills in Los Angeles fast food restaurants than all the city buses.[20]

Pesticides & Food Contamination

Since 1945 when pesticides made from petrochemicals became popular, the following changes have occurred: [21,22,23]

Percentage Increase

3,300% overall pesticide use

20% overall crop losses due to insects

100,000% pesticides applied per acre of corn

The drinking water in nearly every midwestern city south of Chicago is contaminated with agricultural weed killers.[24]

Meat, poultry and dairy products contain the major source of pesticide residues in the western diet.[25]

95% of human exposure to the potent carcinogen dioxin comes from consuming meat, poultry and dairy.[26]

The EPA issued more than 1,000 warnings against eating fish from chemically-contaminated waters in 1994.[27]

Nearly half of all fish sampled by Consumers Union was contaminated with bacterial from human or animal feces.[28]

99% of US non-vegetarian mothers' milk has significant levels of DDT. Only 8% of US vegetarian mothers' milk has significant levels of DDT.[29]

Resource Distribution

Resources used in the production of livestock:
    33% of world's fish catch [30]
    38% of the world's grain harvest [31]
    50% of all the water used in the US [32]
    60% of Brazil's grain harvest [33]
    70% of US grain harvest [34]
    80% of US corn harvest [35]

Almost half of all energy expended in US agriculture [36]
    14% of all cattle are fed back to cattle as part of protein-fortified feed.[37]

Approximately 8 million pounds of poultry manure are fed annually to California's beef cattle.[38]

50% of all the antibiotics used in the US are fed to animals, and

80% of them are used to promote growth, not to treat disease.[39]

12-16 pounds of grain and soy are needed to produce one pound of grain-fed beef.[40]

All 17 of the worlds major fishing areas have reached or exceeded their natural limits due to overfishing.[41]

$3.7 billion subsidized animal feed grains in 1995. They are the USÕs most heavily subsidized crop.[42]

World Hunger

5 million children in the US go hungry every month.[43]

Approximately 40,000 people die each day worldwide due to hunger or hunger-related causes.[44]

If Americans reduced their intake of meat by merely 10%, 100,000,000 people could be fed using the land, water and energy that would be freed up from growing livestock feed.[45]

10 billion people could be sustained from present croplands if all ate a vegetarian diet.[46]

If everyone in the world cut their meat consumption to reduce their fat intake to the 30% level, there would be enough grain to feed the worldÕs population increases through the year 2000.[47]

4. maxpi

maxpi

Don't think about things that you think are pathetic and you won't be made sick.

:cool:

5. [​IMG]

6. Yes, appreciate life so much that you have no qualms whatsoever about ending it. Read: abortion.
    (And, usually, turn an 'understanding' blind eye to its evil twin, infanticide.)

Oh, and what about those dastardly lions and wolves! In cahoots with the devil!

7. TGregg

TGregg

How come it's bad to kill animals, but not plants and bacteria?

8. now you are

a) declaring yourself righteous because you choose not to eat meat

and

b) Declaring yourself the winner of a fight with "some girl," who would probably school you if she were here to defend herself

but wait, there wasn't even a debate because she "wasn't worth wasting your time." So if that's the case, why are you wasting this board's time?

are you intentionally trying to make yourself look like a complete and total dumbass or what?

as for who is "good" and who is "bad" you once again demonstrate that you have pretty much zero concept of what you're talking about. you're like someone who thinks they understand african culture because they watched "the gods must be crazy" in their ninth grade social studies class.

if you really wanted answers to the occasional questions you ask, you wouldn't be throwing bricks, you'd be out looking for genuine responses in better places (like, um, I don't know, books for example) and attempting to evaluate those answers objectively. but, um, like, i don't think that's part of the agenda dudes, can i get a HELL YEAH?

p.s. as for "i don't like to kill things," smug vegetarians please read this: http://maddox.xmission.com/grill.html

9. Anyone try those new Hardee's Thickburgers?

10. jem

jem

I hereby choose to cause the least harm to animals. I choose cooked animal flesh and uncooked fish. I love animals and I want to protect as many of them as I can. Fortunately it is best if I eat them.

I find the collateral damage caused by a vegetarian diet to be an unacceptable price to pay for such a vain selfish diet. Are those bible reading meat eaters actually the best stewards of the environment or are those people who think they know better preserving the environment best by only eating vegetables. Well I think I will thank God for the grace he has shown me in that I have been called to consume flesh.

#10     Aug 19, 2003