Manual tape reading & DOM in an algo age

Discussion in 'Trading' started by 777, Nov 20, 2017.

1. 777

Adverse selection on fills

#31     Nov 27, 2017
  2. mbondy

mbondy

I don't know.

#32     Nov 27, 2017
  3. 777

I think mbondy and a few other posters place orders resting bellow the bid and ask looking to catch a spike that clears out the first level, but I am not sure about this.

Many savvy traders no longer add liquidity by sitting on the bid or offer because they believe algos too often step aside and allow a fill when the price will go against them but step in front of them by a fraction of a penny to "steal away" an order if this looks like a good move.

To add insult to injury, if an algo takes an order away from you by stepping in front of you because the fill looks good, the algo will simply lean on your order for protection and sell you the stock if things start looking not so hot for the algo's position.
    _____

Hoping mbondy and others comment!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    #33     Nov 27, 2017
  4. yiehom

yiehom

What is your plaform, if I may ask ?

#34     Nov 27, 2017
  5. mbondy

mbondy

Currently das trader, for lack of a better option. If I lived in the usa, I would use takion or lightspeed.

#35     Nov 27, 2017
  6. mbondy

mbondy

Yes I am generally always posting out of the nbbo but not for the reason you cited nor am I right above or below it.

I add liquidity because it is not economic not to.

#36     Nov 27, 2017
  7. 777

When you place an order levels outside the bid and offer do you pull the order if price drifts to the nbbo, or close?

Meaning, are you looking for large orders that clear levels to spike into you?

#37     Nov 27, 2017
  8. mbondy

mbondy

I'm sorry but I don't really understand either of your questions. Could you rephrase them? How can price 'drift to the nbbo'?

#38     Nov 27, 2017
  9. And all these automated types...they are all minting money?

#39     Nov 27, 2017