Managing winners

Discussion in 'Trading' started by traderjoe999, Dec 13, 2017.

1. %%
    Good point.
    NOT a stock tip; its an example [ticker= CHK]Crook CEO made a deal with the devil, IBD article noted.[ Later,killed himself some time ago.] Put it simple, Carl Ichan uses fundamentals well, much + he cut a loss on CHK some time ago. Could GOOG it for more info:caution::cool:

#31     Dec 14, 2017
  2. It seems almost all of this is relative. Are you daytrading or swing trading? Are you buying or shorting stock, futures, options,etc? Size of position and amount of capital being tied up definitely comes into play. And as far as “letting your profits run” that’s a pretty gray area as well. I mean do you double your money in 2 hours and just hope it keeps running or do you cash out FAST! Are you long a 10 lot of cheap call for the next 3 months and it looks like the underlying has more room to run so you just ride it out and see what happens. Every way you look at this is relative. Taking profits and managing losers at different levels and percentages is a big part of actively trading and being a trader which is definitely not a perfect, black and white science.

#32     Dec 14, 2017
  3. %%
    And even when you get a perfect black + white candlechart, its more than science.:D:cool:Red apples are popular/popular sellers , prices can come down in SEP, usually; but green granny Smith apples tend do well most anytime.....

#33     Dec 16, 2017
  4. ironchef

ironchef

Excellent points but the devil is in the details. The challenge is in selecting a trade, how do you pre-determine which one will be sure winner and put a lot of money into that?

#34     Dec 16, 2017
    murray t turtle likes this.
  5. Visaria

Visaria

Nothing is for sure in the trading game.....

#35     Dec 16, 2017
  6. That’s for sure!

#36     Dec 16, 2017
  7. Overnight

Overnight

Surely not!

#37     Dec 16, 2017
  8. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Risk is for sure.

("For sure!") :D

#38     Dec 17, 2017
  9. %%
    You can sure look/study a lot of things ironchief; me 2.
    BUT due to a practical point of =cant predict much[one/two trades would not be a prediction,LOL]. A good general rule is younger any are , the more draWdowns one can stand.

A crude but good way to position size is= what if you lost all that position??.[Hint when they jumped out window-loo large a position]Stock Trader's Almanac, book by Hirsch + IBD ,weekly now newspaper can help, no matter what time frame.....:cool::cool:

#39     Dec 18, 2017
  10. ironchef

ironchef

In that case I will be forced to keep all my position size the same since I cannot predetermine which is a sure winner and which is not. Then logically I have to let winners run and risk letting winners become losers.

Not sure if I make sense.

#40     Dec 18, 2017
    murray t turtle likes this.