Managing risk of unpredictable, abrupt tweets that cause volcanic reversal action

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by learner88, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Peter8519

Peter8519

:sneaky::D

#11     Aug 26, 2019
  2. Use TA to buy support and/or sell resistance with a hard stop.

Then when the tweet/news/spew comes into the market.... if it's against your position, you get stopped out... maybe 4-5 ES points? If the event is in favor of your position, you make maybe 20+ points. (Last night's jawboning was worth 80 points.)

You almost have to do it this way as the moves are too swift to "see, then catch"... algos, you know.

#12     Aug 26, 2019
    yc47ib likes this.
  3. notagain

notagain

NQ looks like it'll open above VWAP trend line, NQ should spike down to ring the bell

#13     Aug 26, 2019
  4. smallfil

smallfil

The stockmarket knows better than the fools who fall for every bit of news they come across with! Fools deserve to lose their monies!

#14     Aug 26, 2019
  5. I think it works for forex because forex makes smaller moves in terms of percentage. It will be a problem if higher leverage is taken.

#15     Aug 26, 2019
  6. I think one has to use a market stop order. The movement can be so fast that it will miss the stop order if it's a stop limit order.

#16     Aug 26, 2019
  7. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Unfortunately, in my experience, if your time frame is days or more, I find stop orders execute at or near the point you might have added to your position rather than where you would want to liquidate. That is why I like using ITM options.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    #17     Aug 26, 2019
    yc47ib likes this.
  8. Agree. You don't want to be "penny wise and pound foolish" when you're playing defense.

Even your stop order may be overshot a bit. Suggest not exposing yourself to a possible "weekend gap" where feasible also.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    #18     Aug 26, 2019
  9. tomorton

tomorton

Agreed on leverage. My highest is 1:20.

#19     Aug 26, 2019
  10. A note FWIW...

In my entire trading life, I've rarely had my capital levered even 2:1.

#20     Aug 26, 2019
    MattZ likes this.