Managing Mind/Body

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by BA_Trader, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Laz -- thanks for sharing the bio... it adds another dimension
    to co-learning that is useful -- if only as a reminder that everyone
    is approaching this from a different angle and background.

Unfortunately for those who are making an effort (including
    Jack) -- the ET community tends to measure improvements in
    only one way which is a shame. They are looking at the bottom
    line of the TD only. The process is irrelevant apparently :D.

Jack cited dkm as being damn close to really nailing things. Based
    on looking at his posts - I agree that dkm knows more than he
    thinks he does. From personal experience it's just a matter
    of assembly. Hopefully he will surprise himself.

Plenty of people are benefitting (self included) from the JH
    threads... directly and indirectly. There is plenty of co-learning
    going on too, which is invaluable.

Thanks again
    J

#71     Sep 3, 2004
  2. I have a few recent posts I need to answer but here I thought I would make a general statement.

In ET, there are several well-known contributors and they trade at various levels of money velocity. It is interesting to note their cutoff profit limits on their day trading and what causes it.

Anyone reading their works can make some determinations on this.

A few examples follow.

Acrary and stat posts. He follows a statistical approach where the edges can all be ranked by statistical measures for their effectiveness. One aspect of this is how often the edge appears. I haven’t really done anything more than accumulate about 80 or so of these that make money. To rank them by their bottom line, requires that their frequency of occurrence be cataloged and then adding to that their effectiveness to get the equity curve. A subset is back testing and forward testing and paper trading. All three of these do not work in general in ET. This is a key area to log “what things people do not know that they do not know”.

People who are better than everyone else using their unique approaches. PTR, AMT, some ET journalists, etc. This spectrum has specific statements about the dangers of this or that with respect to their super systems. The top limitations so far are “chop” and lack of liquidity, mostly seasonally. A third set is the market’s change in operation and the changing times, economically speaking. Systems here, occasionally wear out.

The big ten. These maximum level posters tend to be stuck in their ways and they also are guardians and protectors of people with few posts. Their methods are not too specific but their limitations are the best known of all the trading methods available. For me, this is simply a mother lode of information on what they and those they guard, cannot do in markets. These are definitive trading limitations for them and it is a good idea to pair off each limitation with the corresponding difficulty in their method. Because they post continually and play the same record mostly, you can relate what they are guarding to what they do. I call not being able to solve any problems that are known to a person with a big number of posts, as being “stuck”.

Group B. Detractors don’t trade with any specified announced methods but they contribute a lot on how they view what is possible for them and also what they think others can do. They do focus, as the big ten does, repeatedly on their pet limitations.

Losers. Et has a lot of losers; that is, people who cannot trade because of four or five basic problem themes. Each theme stems from a combination of myths and misinformation. And there is always a key absence of something that would straighten them out promptly. They cannot accept any input from others as a consequence of a set of limitations. It is a must to have their statements and reasoning for why they cannot be accepting.

Limitations. There are classes of limitations and organizing them is a good idea because then you gain familiarity with what to stay away from.

Myths. Myths are brought to trading from three places: Life experiences, trading associations, and the learning approaches that a person has used.

Designing stuff for trading. Recently, there has been a rash of advice on how to get started and how to design a trading approach. Fortunately, some suggestions have been responded to by novices. These responses do help to point out he irrationality of some suggestions and the presumed validity of others.

By being rational as reading and reviewing is carried out, you can get a comprehensive universe with two main subsets of what to do and what not to do.

All of this has one underlying theme: how people’s minds work and do not work.

A lot of people suggest not doing what others contribute. There is a direct mind comparison connection for the “contribution” and the “rejection of the contribution”. It is always worth checking out why this has occurred.

#72     Sep 4, 2004
  3. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Jack Hershey as a religious experience :D

That's almost as good as Jack and the Jackolytes arguing with a Hydra.

Now where's my copy of Extraordinary Delusions and the Madness of a Thankfully Small Group of People Being Led Down the Garden Path . . . :confused:

#73     Sep 4, 2004
  4. My 2c...

I've probably been in and out of everyone one of those groups. I do my
    best -- but I'm learning and it is a process that involves trial and error.

I question - I respond to responses - I externalize when I'm stuck - and
    I externalize when I think I'm "done" with something. ET is a place
    to do a process for me.

If I'm telegraphing my problems I am the first to appreciate it when
    someone calls me on it. It's part of why I post anything at all.

I have learned that MOST people on ET post to vent, seek em/sympathy
    or "win." Sadly the originating poster is typically a seeker of truth.

I occassionally chase a wild hare. I have my moments of weakness.

JT

#74     Sep 4, 2004
  5. comment 1) an attempt at being condescending.

comment 2) an attempt at being condescending.

comment 3) an attempt at being condescending.

Broken record. No value in this post at all DB.

#75     Sep 4, 2004
  6. Here is a quicky.

Your approach sometimes mentions that you use TL's and you state you do not use anything else graphically along with them and specifically not channels which have left lines opposite the right channel TL that you draw. For a while you assumed that I drew channels and TL's in hindsight.

Additionally you post the three reasons why traverses within those two lines that make up a channel are not traded by you (and you say anyone else will fail also).

You make entries and exits as you follow a set up procedure and have a trading plan.

You agree usually that 1 point a day as along term average per contract in ES is a good performance and money velocity.

I assume you trade many contracts and average about 12,000 a year per ES contract.

I compare these values with the trending of ES annually.

What is going wrong for you?? Why is it that way??

#76     Sep 4, 2004
  7. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

An attempt? . . . :D

BA, if you're going to parade your misguided devotion on a public message board, you're going to have to be prepared for the consequences.

But I do appreciate your injecting so much humor into what can often be an otherwise dry forum. :)

#77     Sep 4, 2004
  8. comment 1) an attempt at being condescending.

2) I am misguided in your opinion -- I am being illogical. If a person is
    being illogical they are to face consequences (it is implied that you hand
    out consequences). This is basically a threat and justification of your actions.

3) an attempt at being condescending.

more broken record and a threat. Again - no value in this post DB.

#78     Sep 4, 2004
  9. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Quote from Grob109:

For a while you assumed that I drew channels and TL's in hindsight.

And you still do.

Additionally you post the three reasons why traverses within those two lines that make up a channel are not traded by you (and you say anyone else will fail also).

Depends how one defines "fail". One can trade anything in any fashion he chooses. But your method is extraordinarily inefficient and leaves your disciples with no understanding of trend.

As for "also", I never failed with them as they never made it out of the testing gate. They are a loser's course.

You agree usually that 1 point a day as along term average per contract in ES is a good performance and money velocity.

Sorry, no.

What is going wrong for you??

Why, not a thing, Jack. What is going wrong for you?

#79     Sep 4, 2004
  10. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Threat? :) Try not to get too paranoid, BA.

As for justification, no. Just a reality check. If you want a private conversation amongst the faithful, use email. Otherwise, you're really not in a position to complain.

Have a nice day. :)

#80     Sep 4, 2004