Managing Funds for a Living

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by paysense, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Do you know the difference between a short put and a covered call?

#41     May 31, 2007
  2. BJL

BJL

President & Chief Hedge Fund Strategist

:D

#42     May 31, 2007
  3. GTS

GTS

Gilbert, is this you ?

http://www.smbiz.com/sbw2119.html
    http://law.onecle.com/tax/1999/arevalo.tcm.wpd02.html

#43     May 31, 2007
  4. BJL

BJL

Better those than this one...

RANKIN, 1995 - Testimony got underway this morning in the murder trial of Gilbert Arevalo, a former Pecos resident charged with the beating death of his girlfriend's baby last year.

#44     May 31, 2007
  5. BJL

BJL

[​IMG]

#45     May 31, 2007
  6. Yes, I admit to all of the above - including what a 'short put' is, since I do a lot of golfing. But, any publicity is good publicity!!

- I refuse to admit I EVER lived in Pecos, ROTFLMAO.

Yeah...and the judge told me he and his 'experts' had at one time looked into "covered calls", and determined that there was no merit to any great potential.

Perhaps now I SHOULD consider the following:

"For a taxpayer to deduct expenses of an activity pursuant to section 162, the taxpayer must show that he or she engaged in the activity with an actual and honest objective of making a profit. Whether a taxpayer had an actual and honest profit objective is a question of fact to be resolved from all relevant facts and circumstances."

Section 1.183-2(b), Income Tax Regs., provides a nonexclusive list of factors that should be considered in determining whether an activity is engaged in with the requisite profit objective. The nine factors are: (1) The manner in which the taxpayer carries on the activity; (2) the expertise of the taxpayer or his or her advisers; (3) the time and effort expended by the taxpayer in carrying on the activity; (4) the expectation that the assets used by the taxpayer in the activity may appreciate in value; (5) the success of the taxpayer in carrying on other similar or dissimilar activities; (6) the taxpayer's history of income or losses with respect to the activity; (7) the amount of occasional profits, if any, which are earned; (8) the financial status of the taxpayer; and (9) whether elements of personal pleasure or recreation are involved. No single factor, nor the existence of even a majority of the factors, is controlling, but rather it is an evaluation of all the facts and circumstances in the case, taken as a whole, which is determinative. These factors are not applicable or appropriate in every case. See Abramson v. Commissioner, 86 T.C. 360, 371 (1986)."

"Based upon the above factors as applied to circumstances of this case, we find that petitioner did not engage in the consulting activity for profit."

Perhaps I should now go back to the judge and ask for my deductions to be allowed - not that I can do much about my picture!

In any case, what's the point in continuing with www.kingdomcapital.com - except that if you follow my lead, at about this time next year you will be running riot with your investments. Gilbert

#46     May 31, 2007
  7. Sorry, all of my capital is tied up with a certain Turkish cab driver in Chicago.

#47     May 31, 2007
  8. Market Direction: Green Light
    (since 21-Mar-2007)
    -------------------------------------
    Dear Pro Member,

Kingdom Capital Training Institute is pleased to now offer real-time 'trade alerts' via email for all covered call trades made in our respective Classic and Pro Funds.

Friday, June 1, 2007
    11:55 am PST

Bought 200 shares of JADE (LJ Interntional, Inc.) at $12.10 (ask).

Sold (2) JADE Jun 12.5 (UODFV) call option contracts at $0.60 (bid).

As always, you may contact me direct at cell: 323.365.9287 at any time regarding your training and thank you for choosing Kingdom Capital Training Institute!

Mr. Gilbert J. Arevalo
    President & Chief Hedge Fund Strategist
    Kingdom Capital Training Institute
    Kingdom Capital Management
    www.kingdomcapital.com
    Cell: 323.365.9287
    --------------------------------------

#48     Jun 2, 2007
  9. NOT that I am going to be posting all these trades - that is what C2 is for...

Gee just imagine...compounding 5% (8.2% if called) for a 2 week holding!!

Where would you be in 10 yrs????

[This seems to be the only way to get a response - make a ridiculous post for the the naysayers to pounce on ROTFLMAO]

OK please disregard the bracketed statement - no, for that matter diregard any statement that doesn't provoke insightful correspondence - perhaps the whole thread;(

paysense

#49     Jun 2, 2007
  10. Let's overlook the blatant plug for a moment. I don't understand the dependence on CC. Why not simply sell the $12.50 put? You consider this a (sic) hedge fund strategy? 100% reliance on an inferior strategy?

#50     Jun 2, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.