Managing Funds for a Living

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by paysense, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BJL

BJL

yeah, we all like to think we're unique ;)

the combination of a great trader and a great salesman is not something i've seen very often though.

#31     May 21, 2007
  2. True... if you really know what you are doing, the question is always the same, why the need to sell?

Anyways, I understand not everyone has the right connections. I guess I'm lucky to an extent that I'm in a business college where networking/salesmanship is stressed to the nth degree...

#32     May 21, 2007
  3. BJL

BJL

true.

I'm lucky I don't need to have sales skill ;)

#33     May 21, 2007
  4. One day that's where I hope I'll be. But, until then, I will continue to jump hoops and the social ladder just in case I can't make it on my wits alone.

#34     May 21, 2007
  5. Can I comment - this is my thread.

Good people/products do eventually sell themselves. What makes a person good or a product noteworthy? Most often patience and hardwork if you're like me and not used to the handouts - or comfortable flouting myseld about.

Not to say I don't think much of myself...but ultimately I would like to bring a value that can be shared by others. Lasting value - or what I have coined lately regarding funds, 'staying power'

Truth be told, at the end of the day we have to live with ourselves and have no one to truly burden that responsibility. Now with regards to money...I view it as a tool that can most useful. Not just for myself, but for other causes as well.

I think that way and I am 47.5 years old!!!

But your point is well taken. A hedgie will and does have to put himself out there at some point.
    paysense

#35     May 21, 2007
  6. OK...let's invite some more discussion.

I've attached a 3-yr chart of a test account I managed a from mid 1998 to mid 2001. I adhered as rigorously as I could with my execution principles.

It was a very volatile market period as you know, but some valuable results were derived.

(1) The initial drawdown was a learning experience. I was very mechanical with how I initially conducted my strategy. As things go, my start was when the market was tanking (Asian crisis). Lesson: cash out when stopped out of positions due to downturn and wait for bottom.

(2) The market bottom was "indicated" strongly, therefore half the available margin was implemented and with uptrending market profits grew strongly for a couple of years.

(3) The Bear Market came and my stop-loss methods proved valuable. How many people know that it is equally important to mitigate losses after ramping up gains?

That is one good reason a longer-term, exponentially grown investment fund is a cash-cow.

Paysense

#36     May 24, 2007
  7. Please don't take this the wrong way.
    But before trying to manage other people's money, shouldn't you do a better job of managing your own? At your age (47+), a good money manager should have accumulated at least several milliion in net worth, even with a modest salary.

Why should a high net worth person give money to manage to someone that has not been able to grow their own wealth?

#37     May 24, 2007
  8. So what you are saying is that all people should have lives and continue to live in this aforementioned prescibed manner.

Hmmm...a cookie-cutter society - quite interesting!

I've recovered - finally, from loss of family through divorce. Financially, getting back in shape is coming along too. In fact, I am getting PM regarding OPM - quite unexpected.

paysense

#38     May 24, 2007
  9. I gave up a high-paying day job and my home to my ex-wife and now manage full-time a subscription-based investment training website.

My website funds two 20k accounts at the beginning of each year and subscribers get 'real-time' trade alerts so they can similarly grow their accounts and learn during the process.

The past year continues to plod along. Not spectacular returns mind you, but the annual values can smell the stratosphere.P

• 3a.gif
      File size:
      91.6 KB
      Views:
    #39     May 24, 2007
  10. OK The public may now "auto-trade" with me at www.collective2.com. The exact trades I make in my funds at www.kingdomcapital.com will be made in "Kingdom Capital Covered Call Fund" at C2.

As they say...the proof is in the puddin' and I'm not "puddin'" anyone on when I say these funds rock. But we'll let YOU be the judge!

:cool: paysense

#40     May 30, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.