Managing delta on naked short put

Discussion in 'Options' started by a529612, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Isn't it ironic that AAPL is trading at 170 and is giving me the finger all day after I covered yesterday?

#31     Nov 13, 2007
  2. Gustaf

Gustaf

That happened to me to! I also had some big holes during mars-april. Fortunately I played with verticals not nakeds..

May I ask how many contracts you had there?

#32     Nov 13, 2007
  3. I had 10 Nov 170 Put and 10 Dec 170 Put. I was obviously abusing leverage here and stupid enough not to close the Nov before opening the Dec put. It felt the sky was falling when the naked put was going DITM against you. I had no choice but to get out before I was stuck with an assignment and blew my account.

#33     Nov 13, 2007
  4. I know this doesn't help you but, I shorted tasr puts with an sp of 25 some years ago. Had them executed when the stock was at $8. I sat on the stock for 2 full years waiting for it to bounce then finally cashed it out at $8.50 a few months ago and took it off my screen and never looked at it again. Heard the other day it is up over 150% since I sold it. Bit in the ass twice.

Trading's a constant learning experience. I've also learned the hard way on other naked shorts that if a volatile stock moves against my position, it will usually bounce in my favor on either the 4th or 6th day. It seems 3 & 5 day swings are common.

#34     Nov 14, 2007