Man Trump called 'my African American' leaving GOP over 'pro-white' agenda

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tony Stark, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Man Trump called 'my African American' leaving GOP over 'pro-white' agenda

Gregory Cheadle, the man whom Trump referred to as "my African American" back in 2016, said he is leaving the Republican party due to his frustration with what he called the party's "pro-white agenda." The five-time Congressional candidate joined the Republican party in 2001, but said he'd be continue on as an independent.

The real estate broker from Redding, California, told PBS Newshour that he believes "President Trump is a rich guy who is mired in white privilege to the extreme," but is even more concerned with the Republican party's willingness to defend his actions.
    Cheadle said the issue came to a head when Republicans were quick to defend Trump's tweets in July telling four female Representatives who are U.S. citizens to go back where they came from.

"They were sidestepping the people of color issues and saying that, 'No, its not racist,'" he said about members of the Republican party. "And I thought this is a classic case of whites not seeing racism because they want to put blinders on and make it about something else."

Cheadle announced that he will be running for the House of Representatives in 2020 as an independent in California's first congressional district, which has had a Republican representative since 2013. Critics of Cheadle and the Republican party have pointed out that his track record as a Trump supporter challenges his credibility in the upcoming campaign.He acknowledged that he may have waited too long, but said he was holding out hope that there would be movement on campaign promises to address issues relevant to black voters.

At a campaign rally back in 2016, Trump pointed to Cheadle in the crowd and said, "Oh, look at my African-American over here. Look at him. Are you the greatest?"
    Some called out the president's comments as racist, but Cheadle admitted he was "thrilled" with the recognition of black voters. "The overwhelming majority of people felt offense, which kind of startled me," he told CNN at the time. "Wow, we're so polarized and sensitive in this country now. It's frightening."

His opinion of the incident has since changed. "I'm more critical of it today than I was back then because today I wonder to what extent he said that for political gain or for attention," he said to PBS Newshour.

Despite Cheadle's criticism of Trump and the Republican party, he stopped short of describing the president as "racist," but said he believed he has a "white superiority complex," especially when it comes to judicial nominations, which have been 91% white according to the Associated Press. He says in 2020 he will support any candidate that will help African Americans, irrelevant of party.

2. vanzandt

vanzandt

Trump will secure the African American vote in numbers never before seen.
    Know why? Of course you don't. But you just wait. ;)

Tsing Tao likes this.
  3. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Random poll posting from Tony in 3...2....1...

vanzandt likes this.
  4. Tony Stark

Tony Stark

I agree with you African Americans will be voting in numbers never seen before in 2020:)

5. vanzandt

vanzandt

You have no idea the power of black clergy.
    Sure they want something in return... and guess who is gonna deliver.
    And with all the sh*t going on right now... its Trump's easiest deal ever because it doesn't cost him a thing.
    You'll see. ;)

6. Tony Stark

Tony Stark

7. Tony Stark

Tony Stark

https://www.usnews.com/news/politic...-to-the-polls-to-choose-democrats?context=amp

Trump Drove Black Voters to the Polls – to Choose Democrats

Susan Milligan • Nov. 19, 2018, at 3:40 p.m.

He's no Barack Obama. But President Donald Trump is having his own motivating effect on African-American voters, who overwhelmingly cast votes for Democrats in this month's midterms – in large part because of the damage Trump has done to the GOP brand, according to pollsters who surveyed African-Americans immediately before the elections.

Nine out of 10 African-Americans surveyed on the eve of the election said they were voting or had already voted early for aDemocrat in the congressional races, up from 77 percent who said so in July, according to the survey by the African American Research Collaborative. And while a number of GOP candidates distanced themselves from their party's controversial leader or just tried to ignore him, polling showed Trump might as well have been on the ballot himself, the survey indicated.

Nearly 8 in 10 African-Americans said Trump made them "angry," while 85 percent of black women and 81 percent of black men said Trump made them feel "disrespected," according to the study. Similar majorities of African-American voters – 89 percent of women and 83 percent of men – said Trump's statements and policies will cause "a major setback to racial progress."

That Trump effect filtered down to damage even candidates in the Northeast and California, where the GOP contenders did not necessarily align with the president, and may have affected other ballot choices as well, Henry Fernandez, a principal at the collaborative, told reporters in a conference call. "African-American voters and other voters of color are associating Trumpism with all Republican candidates," Watkins said. "Even with Trump not being in the ballot, Trumpism was effectively on the ballot. The entire party has now been branded," he said.

Black women – who were integral in the narrow upset victory by Democratic Sen. Doug Jones of Alabama last December – also played an outsized role in electing Democrats in the midterms, said Ray Block, a political science professor at the University of Kentucky, assessing the poll. African-American women were more likely than black men to vote for the Democrat, by a 94 percent to 84 percent difference, according to the poll. In the Nevada Senate race specifically, for example, 93 percent of African-Americans voted for Democratic Sen.-elect Jacky Rosen. The same percentage voted for Democratic gubernatorial nominee Stacey Abrams in Georgia – not enough to make her the Peach State's first female African-American governor but enough to show the potential power of the black vote, Block told reporters.

"It's not simply women voting for women," he said. "Anger and disrespect, I believe, are motivators for black turnout."

African-Americans have long been a reliable Democratic vote. But turnout has been uneven, arguably making the difference in the 2008, 2012 and the 2016 elections. A record two-thirds of African-American voters showed up at the polls in 2012 to re-elect the nation's first black president, according to the Pew Research Center. In 2016, African-American turnout declined for the first time in a presidential election in 20 years, to 59.6. Political analysts and pollsters attributed the drop to Obama's absence from the ballot – and the decline may well have made the difference for losing Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, whom critics charge had taken the African-American vote for granted.

Monday's poll showed that Democrats have made some improvements and are still ahead of the GOP in terms of appealing to African-American voters. The study showed that 72 percent felt Democrats were doing a good job reaching out to African-Americans – up from 56 percent in the July poll, and demonstrably better than the 12 percent who feel that way now about the GOP. Fifteen percent said in July that Republicans were doing a good job reaching out to blacks.

Derrick Johnson, president of the NAACP, said the nation will not be a true democracy until both political parties engage and value the votes of African-Americans and other minority populations. But those communities have work to do as well, he said.

"It's not incumbent on politicians to appeal to a community," Johnson said in the conference call. "It's incumbent on the communities to define the agenda of the party

8. vanzandt

vanzandt

tldr.
    So how'd he say it way back when?
    Well lets just add a little twist.

"I have nothing to lose."

I would go on but I can't.
    OG's rule the AA vote and they finally have a president right where they want him.
    Its outta your league Tony.
    Larger powers.
    You'll see. Now quit bothering me.
    I have a circus to watch and the avocado dip is calling out to the Tostito's. ;)

"right where they want him"

Its a beautiful thing.
    Maga!
    One more wink. ;)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  9. Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Trump can already say he got more black voters to the polls for mid term elections than Obama did.In 2020 he will be able to say he got more black voters to the polls of a presidential election than Obama did.

10. vanzandt

vanzandt

You have no idea. ;)
    ttyl

#10     Sep 12, 2019