Man, Trading Is Depressing Now; No Energy

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ByLoSellHi, Jul 10, 2008.

1. ammo

ammo

excellent analaogy

#41     Jul 11, 2008
  2. There are some interesting comments being offered here, and I appreciate it.

I do think I'm probably too diversified for a market such as this, Mvic.

Dr.Steph, I don't take any offense at what you said, because what you said about how easy it is for you to succeed in this market is exactly the opposite for me - it's not that I'm losing money, I'm just barely keeping my head above water, while doing more research and work (a point picked up on by dsg), and it's demoralizing.

Some of you touch on stress management, too, and that's relevant. If nothing else, doing an hour or so on the elliptical once a day would help refocus my mind.

Someone also said this market is hard even for traders - because of the many, many intraday, large sized, sudden reversals - okay this is where I am going to challenge some statements, and I may be wrong, but consider this -

Some of you have said this is a fantastic market, and the kind that's giving you as money opportunities in a day as you'd only ordinarily see in a month.

In theory, it's clear that with the indexes moving into the red and green, sometimes by 1% or more, many times a day, and suddenly, it is a theoretical 'trader's paradise.'

From a mathematical and % standpoint, that's insinuating you're batting better than .500 on all of the trades your executing. OR - if your batting less than .500, you're winners are outsized compared to your losers, by an amount large enough to compensate you financially for the greater % of losers. I'm sure if this IS the case, you've got fantastic systematic management with stops and such. That's great. I can't comprehend that given the conditions I see, which doesn't make it untrue.

I like to see more people make money, not less. More people making money doesn't hurt me, regardless of how I'm doing, while less people making money doesn't help me, regardless of how I'm doing.

But, if you're truly making easy money in these markets, and have been doing so consistently for some time, on a trading basis (not a long term short-biased position or positions such as beginning to short LEH or FRE 6 months ago) - well, then I have to commend you, while being in awe to nearly the point of skepticism.

That's not meant to imply I think there's less than truthfulness in your claims. It's just that outside of the trades that have been concentrated and trending in a clear trend for some time, like financials to the downside, or energy to the upside (to name two examples), with increasing trading activity, isn't all but mathematically certain that your chances of reaping consistently profitable trades decreases with frequency of the trades you're making?

#42     Jul 11, 2008
  3. Daal

Daal

If a stock is going to zero it doesnt matter that is down 30%, you will make 100% on your position. Just find a few likely zeros, wait for a bounce then hammer it, if you are wrong, who cares. I recently short more MBI, stock is trading at some ridiculous 0.4 of book value and off some 90%, I dont care, its going to $0, if im wrong then im wrong, what's the big deal

#43     Jul 11, 2008
  4. ammo

ammo

you are misspelling depression,correct spelling is duh! press on

#44     Jul 11, 2008
  5. ElCubano

ElCubano

the holy grail of trading.....

#45     Jul 11, 2008
  6. ElCubano

ElCubano

depending on the table of course....

also if one only plays the strongest hands others will soon catch on...and they will push you out of every other hand that may have been a winner or fold to any raise...so in poker your objective in to plant seeds in peoples minds...and work the people on the table....the cards like the market cant be controlled...peace....

#46     Jul 11, 2008
  7. Joab

Joab

A. It's summer trading
    B. It's an election year
    C. Commodities are in play NOT stocks
    D. The US is in a long drawn out war
    E. Political instability everywhere
    F. The economy has stalled

Take a vacation till September like the rest of the smart money.

#47     Jul 11, 2008
  8. Doing great here, My shortpositions are doing great. My one long is doing great as well :)

#48     Jul 11, 2008
  9. No summers in the Hamptons this year. This is a traders market, not for the meek or "investment" seekers. see turder, stock.

That said, decrease your size, shorten your timeframe, and manage your risk diligently. Plan your trades and trade your plans

#49     Jul 11, 2008
  10. The big deal is you lost money.

#50     Jul 11, 2008