Man texts, "I need to quit texting," before driving off cliff

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JamesL, Aug 3, 2012.

1. JamesL

JamesL

HUNTSVILLE, AL (WAFF) -

A college student from Texas believes he is lucky to be alive after a terrible crash. He was texting and driving when his truck flew off of a cliff.

Chance Bothe's truck plunged off of a bridge and into a ravine. One of the last things he typed indicated what almost happened to him.

He wrote, "I need to quit texting, because I could die in a car accident."

After the crash, Chance had a broken neck, a crushed face, a fractured skull, and traumatic brain injuries. Doctors had to bring him back to life three times . Now, 6 months later, he's finally able to talk about what happened.

"They just need to understand, don't do it. Don't do it. It's not worth losing your life," he said. "I went to my grandmother's funeral not long ago, and I kept thinking, it kept jumping into my head, I'm surprised that's not me up in that casket. I came very close to that, to being gone forever."

Chance's father said, if he had a child just learning to drive, he would disable texting and Internet on their phone.

As of August 1st, drivers in Alabama will face a $25 fine the first time they are caught texting behind the wheel.

http://www.wlbt.com/story/19176838/man-who-drove-off-cliff-while-texting-warns-others

2. jnbadger

jnbadger

Two kids who were about to be seniors at my local high school just died on Monday. Their suv ran into the back of a flatbed which was stopped on the freeway due to heavy traffic. From the looks of the pictures they were close to full speed at the time of impact.

Two others were in the car and are in critical condition. We won't know anything until they pull through and try to explain what happened, but it is obvious they weren't paying attention at all.

3. Brutal! Same kind of thing happened at my school--- some suicide drunk driving on the wrong side of the highway killed 5 football types from my school but the drunk lived.

4. jnbadger

jnbadger

Isn't that how it always works. The asshole lives to tell about it.

These kids were the same way. All athletes, all on the honor roll. They just weren't paying attention on the freeway for a few seconds, and paid the ultimate price because of it.

5. Lucrum

Lucrum

Too bad he survived, I rather enjoy watching natural selection at work.