Man Receiving Unemployment Benefits Refuses Over A Dozen Job Offers

Discussion in 'Economics' started by misterno, Aug 9, 2010.

1. wartrace

wartrace

Sorry for not including this in my original reply. Did you realize that America has lost OVER 1/3 of its manufacturing jobs over the past ten years?

What jobs have replaced these manufacturing jobs? Service jobs that pay considerably less.

There is NO PLAN to replace the jobs lost with anything else than service sector jobs at a fraction of the pay.

http://buffalo.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories/2010/07/26/daily54.html

#21     Aug 10, 2010
  2. ptrjon

ptrjon

there are a lot of valid points. My idea: instead of simply continuing unemployment checks, after the intial period of regular unemployment benefits, because of the lack of jobs, unemployment payments should decrease by a percentage each month until they disappear.

#22     Aug 10, 2010
  3. I believe self-employed people, like most traders, get nothing, in every state, when they become unemployed.

So I guess everyone gets help - except entrepreneurs - who apparently don't deserve to be helped.

#23     Aug 10, 2010
  4. MKTrader

MKTrader

Uh, so now it's a "right" to collect UBs until you land a "comparable position"? Wonderful. I though my last industry went obsolete, but I'll just sit at home and collect UBs until a slot for "VP of Horse & Buggy Sales" opens back up.

Wrong. You take the best of what's available and start again from there. Those with the right work ethic/attitude/etc. will eventually move back up.

#24     Aug 10, 2010
  5. +1

#25     Aug 10, 2010
  6. MKTrader

MKTrader

Extending unemployment indefinitely (what appears to be happening) is hardly costing us "pennies." I'm not in favor of bailing out banks (or anyone else, including auto companies and their slimeball unions), either. However, two wrongs don't make a right. There's a huge cost and moral hazard with never-ending unemployment "benefits" and most-favored corporate bailouts.

You also have to wonder about the impact this has on firms who need entry-level positions filled...but can't thanks to non-ending UBs.

#26     Aug 10, 2010
  7. zdreg

zdreg

u are correct but that is not the obama left wing philosophy.

surprising is that no one on ET has presented the calculations what would motivate a potential worker to take a job vs. a $450/ week unemployment benefit which requires no work and lasts 2 years at minimum.

#27     Aug 10, 2010
  8. olias

olias

and isn't there a big difference between bailing out the banks and bailing out the unemployed? Actually 2 big differences: bailout money for banks (or auto industry) needs to be paid back. Secondly, the bank bailouts were made to keep the whole banking system from falling apart.

#28     Aug 10, 2010
  9. ElCubano

ElCubano

exactly..."it's only business"

#29     Aug 10, 2010
  10. zdreg

zdreg

correction: u are correct but that is the obama left wing philosophy.
    surprising is that no one on ET has presented the calculations what would motivate a potential worker to take a job vs. a $450/ week unemployment benefit which requires no work and lasts 2 years at minimum

#30     Aug 11, 2010