Man Jailed for kid thats not his.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by peilthetraveler, Jul 16, 2009.

1. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090716/ap_on_re_us/us_wrongfully_jailed

They released him after they got the paternity results and he is relieved of making any future payments, but he still has to pay $16,000! This is messed up. I think a woman should be put in jail for telling a man a kid is his when there is a chance its not. Not only that, I think the woman should have to compensate the man she lied to by paying him double what he paid her as punishment.

Agree or disagree?

2. Wow, you are coming to the aid of Frank Hatley?

[​IMG]

"Hatley returned to court and was relieved of any future child support reimbursement but was ordered to pay more than $16,000 that he had owed the state before the ruling.

Latesha Bradley, an attorney who represented Hatley in that hearing, told CNN the argument for keeping Hatley liable for the back payments was that he had signed a consent agreement with the office of child support services. The court agreed that Hatley had to comply with the consent agreement for the period that he believed the boy was his son."

3. I'm just guessing but there is probably some legal technical issue with the birth certificate. Maybe if you're listed as the father on the birth certificate you are liable for child support as if the kid was your own similiar to an adoption.

Maybe at the time of her pregnancy he said, he'll take care of the baby and treat the child as his own, puts his name on birth certificate and now has a legal document that he is the father. years later he changes his mind for whatever reason, now a "contract" has to be undone.