man is this cheap

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Free Thinker, Apr 24, 2003.

1. nkhoi

nkhoi

DIM 2350,P4,2.20GHZ,MMT,400F,INT VIDSNDN
    512MB DDR SDRAM AT 266MHZ,TIED
    DELL QUIETKEY KEYBOARD,104,ENGLISH,TIED
    E772,17IN(16.0IN VIS)MONITOR,MG,DIM
    INTEGRATED INTEL 3D AGP GRAPHICS
    30GB 7200RPM ULTRA,DIM,01,TIED
    3.5IN,1.44MB,FD,212,MG
    WIN XP HOME,SP1,ENG,DIM,TIED
    DELL APPLICATION BACK-UP CD,FACT
    DELL SUPPORT 2.0 FOR DIMENSION 2350
    DELL 2-BUTTON SCROLL MOUSE,DIM
    IINTEGRATED 10/100 ETHERNET
    NO MODEM REQUESTED
    4X DVD+R/RW CD-RW COMBO DRIVE,DIM,MG
    DIGITAL CONTENT AUTHORING SFW,V4.0
    DECODING SOFTWARE,DVD,CYBERLINK
    INTEGRATED ADI 1885 AUDIO,TIED
    NO SPEAKER REQUESTED,DIMENSION
    MCAFEE.COM,OEM, ENG,90DAY,DIM
    MUSICMATCH 7.1X BASIC
    DPS IMAGE EXPERT STANDARD,DIM
    DPS PAINT SHOP TRY AND BUY,DIM
    AOL 8.0 - SMB
    AOL 8.0 - BUDDY ROM
    REALONE PLAYER BASIC,V6,TIED,ENG
    WORDPERFECT PROD PK W/QNUE BRITNCA,DIM
    NO WARRANTY,YRS 2 AND 3,L1
    NBD,DIM LITE,BSC,INIT YR,BSD (LOW)
    $50 MAIL-IN REBATE 38301

Sub-Total $548.10
    Shipping $0.00
    Tax $24.65
    Total Price $572.75

#21     Apr 26, 2003
  2. speedy

speedy

There's really no difference between ordering from either. In most cases, the prices are the same. You don't have to be a business to order from the small business site. The main difference is that you have to pay tax on the small business site vs no tax on the home site. If you order from the business site, you can just enter your name as the business. In most cases, the business site is cheaper ONLY by the amount of tax which comes out to the same when all is calculated. Of course, this case only applies when there are special coupons...

#22     Apr 26, 2003
  3. I have been waiting to replace one of my pc's and this deal seems too good to pass up.. Questions: I don't have a network but use a router, do I need XP Pro or is Home adequate? I'm currently running 98 with no problems.

Anyone know if my old STB multimonitor card will work with this? They seem to have gone out of business or at least I can't find their website.

Should I upgrade from the Wordperfect s/w they include? I don't really use it except for a spreadsheet but I get frequent emails with word or excel attachemtns. I would have to load those programs to be able to open such files, wouldn't I?

#23     Apr 29, 2003
  4. nkhoi

nkhoi

Home is ok but pro is even better, your choice, you can get by with free word viewer then looking for some cheap copy somewhere or just get it now and be done with it. It is more of question do you want to spend price or time.

#24     Apr 29, 2003
  5. From what I can tell the 10% off coupon is now worthless...

#25     Apr 29, 2003
  6. I had a networking guy network my apartment computers, 2 with Win 2000 one brand new one with XP Home. Admittedly this was just after XP was released, but the 2 Win 2000 Pro machines networked like a dream. XP Home is still not properly configured. XP Home was not designed for networking. Simply sharing a fast connection is not problematic though.

#26     Apr 29, 2003
  7. ok, just ordered one. They changed the damn configuration page from a cheapo to a top of the line so you have to go through and delete a bunch of stuff.

Now my question is this: I don't know whne Dell's quarter ends, but I find this great deal that we are all rushing for at the end of the month a little troubling. I know they run deals all the time but this one seems almost too good to be true. Could Dell be desperately trying to get its rev's up? I can't imagine there's much profit at these levels. Inquiring minds want to know.

#27     Apr 29, 2003
  8. Windows2000 Pro is still the best Microsoft OS out there. I would specifically ask for win2k to be installed on it if it came with XP.

#28     Apr 29, 2003
  9. AAA

Did you find the 10% coupon? And did you have to pay any
    business tax?

#29     Apr 29, 2003
  10. range

range

Excelent point, AAA.

A year ago, Dell's first fiscal quarter ended on Friday, May 3. Dell released earnings in a press release (it can be found on the Dell website) one minute after the close on May 16. Maybe it will be a candidate to short as this year's earnings release date (May 15) aproaches?

#30     Apr 29, 2003