Man gets robbed of life savings after withdrawing $200k from bank.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Amun Ra, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Amun Ra

Amun Ra

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...outside-bank-moments-withdrawing-200-000.html

Something very fishy in this story. I know from personal experience you just can't withdraw that amount of cash. You have to order it and it takes a few days...especially if the bank is in a strip mall.

Now he's asking for a gofundme to replace the $200k.

He's saying he got the money from the sale of his house and he was withdrawing to pay for college for his kid and send help to his family in mexico/el salvador. Do colleges only take cash now? Can you not do a bank transfer to mexico/el salvador? This has all kinds of red flags popping up. I don't believe this story one bit.

Overnight likes this.
  2. gaussian

gaussian

Something certainly seems fishy. You certainly can withdraw 200,000 if the bank has the cash on hand and nothing triggers a suspicious alert.

Several questions remain unanswered:

1. Was this transaction reported to the IRS?
    2. Banks don't typically keep this much cash on hand. He would've had to call ahead and set up a meeting ahead of time.
    3. Why was he casually strolling out of a bank with 200,000?
    4. How did this criminal, of all places, pick a man that happened to have 200,000 in his pocket?
    5. How did chase bank not red flag this?
    6. Why did he withdraw 200,000 cash to send to his family instead of wiring it?
    7. Was this attack targeted?

More importantly it is very suspicious he is robbed by a man dressed in black in broad daylight. Certainly his shoulder injury looks real so that much is true.

My hot take on this -

The guy was a cartel mule. He withdrew the money and was "robbed" in broad daylight to provide an alibi. There were likely several dozen people easier to rob that walked in and out of that bank and this guy was targeted? AND he had 200,000 in cash? To send to his "family back home"? He was also able to secure a high priced LA attorney? Almost certainly some cartel funny business.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    Overnight likes this.
  3. ElCubano

ElCubano

Withdrawing $200k cash is a suspicious alert in and of itself and will most probably not occur. Homeland security would be rappelling from helicopters in the park8ng lot.

4. Overnight

Overnight

What was the moron going to do? Send the cash through the fucking mail to his relatives? Moron. Has nobody ever heard of Western Union? I know Mexico has.

5. IF this person did indeed withdraw 200K and then get robbed he wins the idiot of the year award.

6. d08

d08

Probably staged. Reward: You get another 200k on top of your 200k. Risk: slight injuries and possible charges for lying to the police (if it was reported at all).

7. ph1l

ph1l

I wonder if the Francisco Cornejo from this story was the same one that lost a lawsuit against JPMorgan Chase in 2011?
    https://casetext.com/case/cornejo-v-jpmorgan-chase-bank-1

8. gaussian

gaussian