Man charged $23 quadrillion for smokes

Discussion in 'Economics' started by TraderZones, Aug 6, 2009.

1. How to fix all of our deficits and obligations?

Man charged $23 quadrillion for smokes

Posted 7/15/2009 4:31 PM |
    MANCHESTER, N.H. (AP) — A New Hampshire man says he swiped his debit card at a gas station to buy a pack of cigarettes and was charged over 23 quadrillion dollars.
    Josh Muszynski checked his account online a few hours after the purchase and saw the 17-digit number — a stunning $23,148,855,308,184,500 (twenty-three quadrillion, one hundred forty-eight trillion, eight hundred fifty-five billion, three hundred eight million, one hundred eighty-four thousand, five hundred dollars).

Muszynski told WMUR-TV that he spent two hours on the phone with Bank of America trying to sort out the string of numbers — and the $15 overdraft fee.

The bank corrected the error the next day.

Bank of America said the card issuer, Visa, could answer questions. Visa, in turn, referred questions to the bank.

2. the1

the1

$15 over draft fee -- that's funny. Boy, what a great way to pay down the national debt -- tax the hell out of booze and smokes. I hear people complain and complain about cigarettes going up to $7.50 per pack but they don't smoke any less. Throw another 3 bucks per pack on there and charge $10.50. I doubt it will deter people from smoking any less.

3. Cigarette are $11.59 a pack in Penn station. Largest % of smokers probably are on public assistance of some sort (income < 15k a year). The gov is just getting back some of their own money they dole out pretty quick.

4. I t happenned a couple years here in Quebec (Canada) and people just went to buy non branded cigarettes in the natives reserves. I dont remember if it was a straight black market or just that there is no taxes in natives reserves.