Making sense of chaos? Algos scour social media for clues to crypto moves

Discussion in 'Crypto Assets' started by Banjo, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Banjo

Banjo

2. "For some, the answer lies on social media. Hedge funds and asset managers seeking an edge are training computers to scrape social media sites for triggers that could move the price of digital currencies."

That's hilarious. They simply don't have a clue do they.

3. zdreg

zdreg

What are they missing?

4. Nothing new here. Scrapers like that have been active in trading for a long time. Pretty sure they're worthless.

volpri, REDP1800 and King Sisyphus like this.
  5. Lol, how would you know? After all you provide a crappy platform that offers zero advantage over other simple frontends and now realize how behind you are and started rolling out some algorithmic backtest framework aimed at idiots who can't do better than dragging cute little boxes around the screen and connecting them. I give you guys another 10 years before you arrive at machine learning and perhaps then another 10 to advance to ai. I don't think you have a clue what you are talking about. Better stick to the threads where your customers are begging you for some of the most basic features you promised years ago and still have not delivered.

6. pipeguy

pipeguy

What do you think about Datacamp course on sentiment analysis? They've rolled out it recently and I'm looking for a kind of introductory level material to jump right to working horse models..

7. Are you not the guy who swings his opinion every few weeks on what new to study? You did ask about python and other languages. If you are not already very comfortable programming then keep your fingers away from this arena, you just gonna hurt yourself. Success in life originates from doing what one has an edge in and improving in one's niche area. If you don't know anything about data analysis and sentiment analysis are you seriously expecting to get up on your feet and then extract alpha? Then you are kidding yourself. I don't know your background, but my advice is the same: improve something you are already good at and become better. That is how you outperform others and make money.

dartmus likes this.
  8. REDP1800

REDP1800

yup. you are right. anyone who posted this as newsworthy must be at the library using a computer for the first time!

9. REDP1800

REDP1800

TT is a premiere platform and P. Rooney is above board and in no way or form are you even close to describing who he is or what product he represents. its sad you resort to being such an asshole because you cannot afford a superior product. ENJOY YOUR ETRADE!

10. Oh really? Perhaps you can explain then to the rest of us how a discretionary (manually executed) order gets a superior fill through TT than via Interactive Brokers? You have no idea what you are talking about. And their mediocre and simplistic algo trading approach works exactly as I described, shuffling a few boxes around and connecting them on the screen. Their language behind the scenes is incompatible with the rest of the world. Eagerly awaiting your explanations.

#10     Jul 19, 2019