Making full time trading viable

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Truth Searcher, Jun 14, 2019.

1. qlai

qlai

You are saying that if it cannot be automated, you are not interested?

#41     Jun 14, 2019
    murray t turtle likes this.
  2. The answer is obvious. If your trading capital is not sufficient to make a living, then don't quit your job. Continue working at your job to build up the capital first.

The right questions to ask is ... if you hate your job so much that you are willing to do day trading when it is not even enough to earn a living, perhaps you should try looking for a new job but the new job cannot be full-time trading because your capital is not large enough.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    #42     Jun 14, 2019
    Nobert likes this.
  3. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

sadly i can not use it if it's not completely automated and risk less than 1 point per contract es (4ticks) or rty (10 ticks) etc. win rate is not important if the profit factor is 1.4 or better

#43     Jun 14, 2019
    NQurious likes this.
  4. Good perspective- thanks.

#44     Jun 15, 2019
    #45     Jun 15, 2019
  6. Certainly an option thanks

#46     Jun 15, 2019
  7. Thanks. Note:-
    I am willing to fund the process, I just don’t have enough.
    Slippage has been factored in.
    Agree that live trading is different to sim/ backtest. However backtest is the starting point for testing an idea

#47     Jun 15, 2019
  8. Win rate is always important although it can be lower if the risk/reward ratio is high. However, low hit rate strategies can have bigger drawdowns and for longer, making them difficult to stick with.

#48     Jun 15, 2019
  9. Can you define ‘completely automated’?
    Why do you completely discount non automated trading?

#49     Jun 15, 2019
  10. SteveH

SteveH

OP, you live in Ireland, right? If you have regular work hours, have you considered trying to trade the last 2 hours of the either the NQ, YM or RTY futures on the US market? Also, you could probably catch the 1st hour of the afternoon session (6:00 AM - 7:00 AM Dublin time) of the HSI and/or HHI futures which trade in Hong Kong.

You need more volatility, not more contracts. You're not making much per day net because of the poor volatility of the GBP.

First 2 hours of the US e-mini futures trading is a career on low contracts. Same with the HSI/HHI.

You didn't post what your avg win, avg loss (in pips is fine) and avg winning pct are. If your avg win / avg loss is 1.0 area, forget it. What you're doing (without me having to know any more about your system) is very difficult by hand. Like Mark Brown said, 1.4 or better is needed.

The padutrader fellow on these boards is your guide to what not to do in daytrading: DON'T trade poor volatility. Trade the best volatility you can find.

#50     Jun 15, 2019
    murray t turtle, Datum and cafeole like this.