Making 20% Per Month From Stocks?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by ET70424, Jun 23, 2011.

1. donkell22

donkell22

ET70424

How many of you believe it is realistic to make 20% a month consistently trading stocks only? No options, futures.

If not 20%, how about 10% per month or better, every month ? After deducting normal commissions of course
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////////

20% of what. I think if you have reasonable prices in mind, and you are not greedy and reasonable with your expectations you can make a good living doing it full time. I have the time but not everybody does. I look at trading as a full time job and do pretty well.

don

#21     Jun 26, 2011
  2. donkell22

donkell22

How many of you believe it is realistic to make 20% a month consistently trading stocks only? No options, futures.

If not 20%, how about 10% per month or better, every month ? After deducting normal commissions of course
    /////////////////////////////////////////////////

20% of what? If you have $100,000 that would be 20,000 a month.
    If you have 5K you would be talking about 1000 a month. Which one do you think is more reasonable?

don

#22     Jun 26, 2011
  3. If you start with $1MM and make 20% a month, it will take arnd 8 years for your return to exceed current US nominal GDP (if my arithmetic is correct). 'Nuff said.

Best of luck!

#23     Jun 26, 2011
  4. rew

rew

If you actually have a trading system that reliably generates 20% a month both would be equally reasonable. I can't imagine any trading system where $100,000 of capital would cause liquidity problems.

#24     Jun 26, 2011
  5. Bob111

Bob111

since OP was talking about stocks only, i can assure you that on certain stocks $5000 market order will create serious price spike. i'm sure that there is will be no liquidity problems. the question is - at what price? :)

#25     Jun 26, 2011
  6. rew

rew

Okay, I was assuming we're not trading OTC penny stocks.

#26     Jun 27, 2011
  7. Bob111

Bob111

nope. off course i'm talking about GOOG or AAPL either..try to sell something in relatively large(to avg.vol) quantities, just to see how those HFT's "liquidity providers" will disappear and price drop. i use to trade large baskets of stocks, i have 3 types of PnL-based on last,best and worst. lately i can't even get out(close all portfolio at once) at worst. mean-selling at bid and buying at ask. once they see my orders coming-bamm..all gone! spread are up,no buyers or sellers, just a bunch of partial fills. awesome!

#27     Jun 27, 2011