Make $ w/ $2,000?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by jasrlew, Jul 23, 2003.

1. jasrlew

jasrlew

Baggerlord:

Where do you ski? I did the ski bum route in Telluride for a couple of years.

#51     Jul 23, 2003
  2. DT-waw

DT-waw

"I guess" are the key words here. On a 1-minute or tick charts all I can see is - randomness! How can you people make money by scalping? Plus there is an execution issue. With market orders spread is your cost. With limit orders you may avoid the spread, but your order may not be executed - price can go against you.

$150 per day with $2k acct is BS, I guess. :D Nooo, I'm sure it is.

Just my 2 cents
    (or -1 cent after slippage & commissions)

#52     Jul 23, 2003
  3. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

You can make more than 10 per hour working for a trading firm or exchange on their lowest level jobs: plus you may have the opportunity to learn more about trading from experienced and successful traders.

Bottom line: if this is the profession that you want to work in then seek out these opportunities: they do exist.

#53     Jul 23, 2003
  4. #54     Jul 23, 2003
  5. I have gotten like 20 PMs tonight from people wanting to know how I trade the pullbacks. I trade a modified version of the method posted by Breakout under the avoiding false breakouts thread from a while ago. (Do a search for "false breakouts"
    It is good stuff, especially with a rule I added! Finished today up $65 after $128 in commissions. I sure wish I didn't have to pay them. What are IB's comms, and do they only let you trade once in a day if under $25k?

#55     Jul 23, 2003
  6. jasrlew

jasrlew

Yep, the PTD rule applies to stocks, not futures.
    Can anyone suggest charting software for index futures?

#56     Jul 23, 2003
  7. #57     Jul 23, 2003
  8. baggerlord, who's your current broker? IB charges $4.80 round-trip per contract.

-FastTrader

#58     Jul 23, 2003
  9. That's a lot in commissions man!

-IB charges $2.40/side.

-I think FFastTrade offers pretty low commissions, like 1/2 that if you're doing high volume - Might be worth considering now...?

-PDT rules do not apply to futures traders. Besides, you get about 40% tax benefit trading futures compared to trading stocks, which is the main reason for trading them.

~Scientist

#59     Jul 23, 2003
  10. I use daytrade4less. I had IB and was trading options and they would only let me trade them once in a day. Someone told me they are strict with the daytrading. I figured they would do the same for futures.

#60     Jul 23, 2003