Make $ w/ $2,000?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by jasrlew, Jul 23, 2003.

1. ..but doesn't a 10pt YM stop equate (or at least close to) to a 1pt ES stop in terms of movement. To compare ES and YM then you would have to say that a 4pt ES stop is the same as a 40pt YM stop and therefor the risk is the same. It's misleading to say that the risk is less because the value of each tick is less.

#21     Jul 23, 2003
  2. I disagree. I opened an acct with 2k a few weeks ago and am trading the hell out of it, 20-30 trades a day. I am averaging about $80 a day, and improving all the time. You might not consider this much money, but for someone that can only put up 2k, it is. I also work full time, and earn about $10 an hour, so to me the trading is very worthwhile.

#22     Jul 23, 2003
  3. Jasrlew,

I don't know about experience traders...

because being experience doesn't always mean your able to trade for a living nor make a profit.

Yet...if you meant successful traders or someone consistently trading for a living...

Yes...they can trade from a minimum account size and slowly grow it into something bigger.

However...they obviously won't be able to live off that account until it reaches a certain level where they can withdrawl profits as an income source.

Simply...a struggling trader or inexperience trader with a 2k account...

has the odds stacked against them that they will fail. If they are undiscipline traders or self-sabotaging their trading...having access to a large trading account would still have the same result...failure.

With all that's said...a successful trader probably would request at least 1k above the minimum for a little breathing room if it was some sort'uv challenge.

Thus, via your 2k example...3k would be the start.

NihabaAshi

#23     Jul 23, 2003
  4. True, but from what I've seen so far, a 10 pt YM stop could keep you in a trade. A 1 pt ES stop will almost always get hit.

-FastTrader :)

#24     Jul 23, 2003
  5. Ditch

Ditch

I agree with you. It makes no sense for a newbie to start trading futures with a +$50k account. he will blow it either way. I blew a $5k account three times before a got a grip on it, i'm pretty sure i would have done the same with 50k. in any case a small account will limit your size while learning.

#25     Jul 23, 2003
  6. Letho

Letho

Borrow money and get tax deduction. Check the interest rate and check your location for the tax implications.

Go and check with you bank if you can setup a line of credit based upon prime plus something

You have the $10,000 that you put on a trading account and pay on a monthly basis $200.

You are good because there’s a lot of opportunity out there and within a year you can double your money

Stop working within one or two years and dedicate your time to your new activity

Ho it looks great on the paper however you need discipline and time.

My recommendation would be carrying on working and give time to the
    :D

#26     Jul 23, 2003
  7. lescor

lescor

If you are a successful trader with the sheets to back it up, you should be able to find a shop that will let you trade with only $2k and give you enough buying power to make a living.

#27     Jul 23, 2003
  8. Why not consider bonds or 10yrs Notes futures?

You get a liquid market, you can daytrade the future, for position trading you have options on the same underlying.

Otherwise, I'd consider swingtrading SSFs.

alberto

#28     Jul 23, 2003
  9. prox

prox

Well, IB's minimum is 2000 .. and if a single 1 tick loss will prevent you from placing another trade, then it is just a toss up on the first few trades that they "have" to be winners. It's a dangerous mental state to put yourself in.

Now, if it was something like $2500 , then sure.. an experienced trader should be able to build it up.

#29     Jul 23, 2003
  10. prox

prox

Agreed.. undercapitalized isn't the reason for failure among traders..

Not having a clue how to trade is the reason.

#30     Jul 23, 2003