Make the poster's IP visible?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Thug_Life, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Ken -

Didn't know you were on this board! I haven't seen a Saturday chat in quite a while. Any plans for an upcoming one? They were super!

#11     Jul 17, 2002
  2. I completely agree.

Putting a icon next to those that are VERIFIABLE board members via whatever process or fee less than $5 is an excellent option.

Further, those that do not want to reveal whom they are (maintaining complete privacy) may still use the board as normal...without an icon.

I think that a fee of $5 or less is tolerable especially since there is obviously some good posts and content here at ET.

If not...why else would someone join?

Also...maybe its possible that anyone can join and lurk...but only VERIFIABLE board members (those with the icon) can post.

To encourage members to verified themselves...offer something in a special member area to encourage members to verified themselves...like realtime trading sessions sponsored by market gurus in a special chat room, etc.

Thus, lurkers can still enjoy and absorb the board's content....

but to contribute or get answers to their important questions...they have to verified themselves.

Food for Thought

NihabaAshi

#12     Jul 17, 2002
  3. Babak

Babak

No need to log IPs, no need to give credit card info:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=90921#post90921

This is doable.

Every once in a while this joker comes here and totally disturbs everyone and takes the whole board for a joy ride. Problem is people have short term memories (we're traders!). After he disappears, we forget what a pain he is...until he comes back.

Does anyone remember him hacking the site...or atleast egging on the person who did hack the site? impersonating girls/women on numberous times (a sick f###) and even post a phoney pic? and constantly cloggin up threads with innane chatter?

There is a very easy way to stop this. I for one am getting really fed up. Right now he's gone (or just lurking) but pretty soon he'll come back (when his sick mind has concocted another alias/story).

#13     Jul 17, 2002
  4. Are you saying that banning free email accounts like hotmail is doable?

I agree with Baron :) that it is not a good idea.

I have a domain, so it does not even affect me, but us po peoples likes our free email. And hell, if I can get a domain then anyone can.

#14     Jul 17, 2002
  5. Are you guys nuts? credit card number? IP address? ISP email ? $5 fee
    NO WAY!

Who cares about people posting with several ID's? if you blindly trust the feedbacks on commercial sites or the trading profits posted on this board, then you are a sucker. It's very easy to tell the promoters from the ET regular posters.

#15     Jul 17, 2002
  6. Pabst

Pabst

Are you guys suggesting that chasinfla could be posting under another alias as well.

#16     Jul 17, 2002
  7. I use a paid for yahoo email account. $12/year and pop service.
    I dont want to pay an isp every month just to have
    a "regular" email address.

Charge for each ET membership. Thats enough of
    an entry barrier to stop the majority of axxhxlxs.

axeman

#17     Jul 18, 2002