Make a living trading FOREX?

Discussion in 'Forex' started by mjl, Mar 16, 2009.

1. I don't get it. Isn't there always an equal amount of buyers and sellers. For every buyer there is a seller. How is it possible that the ratio of winners and losers closer to 50-50?

I ask this same question on youtube

90 percent of traders lose money in the markets
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BhzFNSdzz4

#11     Mar 20, 2009
  2. Well, if you stop approaching it like a starry-eyed 3 year old.

Think about it. Do 50% of longterm gamblers win and 50% lose? or does almost all the money go to the house and/or professional gamblers?

With your level of knowledge, you shold stay far far far away from trading. You are a walking landmine.[/size]

#12     Mar 20, 2009
  3. yubitsu

yubitsu

LOL I choked on my drink when I read his post.

Why are you telling him to stay away from trading? The market needs guys like him.

#13     Mar 20, 2009
  4. I'm asking so I can learn, and your not giving a good explanation of how or why that statistic is true. You've simply vaguely compared day trading to Vegas. What game in Vegas are you comparing it too, poker, rouelette?

If you don't have any useful information, STFU.

#14     Mar 20, 2009
  5. I am giving you very useful information. The problem is, you have no idea what you are doing. You are not even ready for "Trading for Dummies." As evidenced again by your having no clue about the relation between trading and gambling.

Maybe if I wrote it in Latin, you could have bowed low a few times and genuflected. You still would not understand what I was saying, but the bruises on your forehead just might stir something loose.

Think about this. Some come to the Fount of Knowledge to drink. Others (like yourself) come to gargle...

#15     Mar 20, 2009
  6. Sad, isn't it??? So ready to turn over his coins to "the other 50%" :D

#16     Mar 20, 2009
  7. You're clearly looking for a fight. Unfortunately, for you, I didn't come to this forum to start internet fights. Find somebody else to fight with cause it's not me.

#17     Mar 20, 2009
  8. JB3

JB3

I would say if the trader does have not a $100K account, it is highly unlikely he is trading for a living (in the US). I would say you need at least $50K per year return for living expenses in the States. So a trader would need to return $70k year in and year out (after tax, he may pull out $50K to live on) just to stay at his level.

So for that to happen, he would need to return 70% just to live.

Obviously, the higher the stake, the easier it is to trade for a living and grow the account.

First, you must be an exceptional trader to return anything remotely close to that consistently. So right there, you need to be in the top 5% of traders. Then you need to have that kind of stake money, so that would put you probably in the 1-2% range of all traders. So yeah, those are the odds.

#18     Mar 20, 2009
  9. In theory but not necessarily in practice.

What does the average profitable forex trader make per month, around 4 or 5% on average at this level? Let's be conservative and say 3%. Compounded that's around 42% per year so he would need closer to 170k capital, if he compounds for a year before he draws out any of his profits. Then there's inflation to take into account.

But....if he's making those kinds of returns consistently then it's quite likely he will be trading money for other people as well, it wouldn't be unrealistic to say he's built up a small fund of a couple of million without too much effort but being conservative let's say 1 million (peanuts in the scheme of things). To be competitive let's say he's charging clients 1% management fee pa (10,000) plus 15% of high water mark gains (63,000), that's fairly cheap by industry standards. Bottom line, he doesn't actually need any capital of his own at all!

So now it's looking a bit more realistic and achievable. A small fund of 1 million, returning less than .15% per day on average....73k, job done, it's a walk in the park :)

And all those figures can be improved on significantly, especially if he adjusts compounding over and above the 'norm' and/or takes on a partner trader and more clients.

It's money for old rope!

#19     Mar 21, 2009
  10. cvds16

cvds16

if you are asking such a dumb question you shouldn't even start trading DUH !

#20     Mar 21, 2009