Majority Of Americans-54% Want Health Bill Repealed; While 42% Oppose Repeal.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by rc8222, Mar 29, 2010.

1. What problem?

That costs are rising? Are they rising any faster than the prices of oil, tuition, rents, property and auto insurance, or movie tickets (Dragon is 14 bucks)?

If medical costs are indeed rising inordinately, then why? Don't insurance companies-slaves to profits-have a self interest in keeping costs contained? One would think greedy Humana would be freezing costs at like 1955 levels, no? But we're supposed to accept the mantra of "insurers are greedy AND overpaying hospitals, drug companies and practitioners"? What am I missing?

If the uninsured is the problem then why not send additional Federal funding to public hospitals? Those hospitals already treat tens of millions of cases a year for free.

Pre-existing? You mean Congress or Obama couldn't reach a deal with insurers to write policies for those people in exchange for a 1-1 tax credit?

But at the same time, no change in anti-trust status, no tort reform, no nothing? Really? WHERE IS THE REFORM?

#11     Mar 29, 2010
  2. David Frum:

"The Republicans had numerous chances to deal with the President and change the bill in order to mitigate what they saw as the real damage that was being done to Americans. They didn't. Why? Because they had only one goal. To break Barack Obama".

They failed to see that their job was to try to do the best they could for their constituents. Instead they caved in to the hate-informed rhetoric coming from maniacs like the Tea Party and other radical elements within the party who are literally hysterical that Obama is in the White House (some of them are here on ET as well). That's what happened here.

#12     Mar 29, 2010
  3. Ricter

Ricter

And those are the issues neither party can hope to reform. Someone else supports those issues at status quo.

#13     Mar 29, 2010
  4. David Frum is a tool, Nik. Is there a public option in the bill? Are illegal immigrants covered? Did Obama not need to sign an executive order banning Federal funding for abortions? Who held the majorities feet to fire on those issues? Martians? Even STILL 15% of DEMOCRATS voted against it.

And since the MAJORITY of American's are opposed to the bill, how did GOP Congressmen not tend to their constituents?

I believe you are a Canadian. (i was too for several years) So is Gabfly, eh? I'm curious. Why do you guys care so much about America? I could care less about Canadian politics. I've lived in both and i can assure you-for creative entrepreneurs, the U.S. is far better. For those who want little more than boring, cradle to the grave security w/o the opportunity to really grow, then Canada is better. To each his own. Weirdly I know more Canadians in California than I knew Americans in BC and I only lived 20 miles from the border. I think that says something.

At least in the OC I can easily buy tickets to the Ducks!!

#14     Mar 29, 2010
  5. "David Frum is a tool..."

Apparently some people just can't handle the truth...

#15     Mar 29, 2010
  6. It's funny you mention truth. I've seen very little substantive debate from leftists on this thread.

I'd remind all of you of how far your view is becoming out of the mainstream. After a quick pop on Health's passage, Obama's daily Gallop numbers are on all-time lows (46%). Excluding non-white participants, his numbers are under 35%. If one were to use the same math with Bush's numbers, figuring that African-Americans opposed W by 19-1 just like blacks approve Obama by that ratio, and with 12% of the sample, blacks alone have moved the Obama-Bush spread by better than 20%. Latinos also. Gallop weighs them at 13% of sample and they fall 70%ish for Obama and they only approved of Bush in the low 20's. I'd need the Gallop data from 2008 but my guess is that at this moment, among white only voters, there isn't an iota of difference in approval ratings between Bush and Obama. Absent the black and Mexican vote, Obama is a huge fail. And as an Asian-American, I can tell you many of my Obama friends are now regretful. Many of us feel we left the winning team. Asia is smoking hot and America had might as well be France. Asia is Reagan America, Obama America is like 1971 Europe. It's really sad to see.

#16     Mar 29, 2010
  7. In your world, assuming you were logically consistent and honest, Bush should have ended the war in Iraq when his approval ratings slipped below 50%...

Do you have a clue, even a hint how our political system works?

#17     Mar 29, 2010
  8. What are you extrapolating? I'm merely saying that among white, Gallop polled respondents, it appears that Bush and Obama have similar approval ratings.

edit: I'd say Obama is 5 over bush.

#18     Mar 29, 2010
  9. As high as unemployment is and all the other economic woes, it is a testament to how relatively high Obama's numbers are.

Bush was despised, people are unhappy with the economy Obama inherited...

#19     Mar 29, 2010
  10. When the economy was far more in doubt, Obama's approval was 20 points higher than now.

#20     Mar 29, 2010