Major problem with esignal

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by bundlemaker, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Hi Peugeot,

I can't say for sure how long it'll take, though he's already done a first pass. Had no problem in aligning the previous day's volume, but the trick is in updating the current vol. bar. We have hit a snag that will take some time to figure out, thus I can't say when.

I would update this thread, but it may not be here when we're ready. In either case, we'll enter it into the EFS Studies section of eSignal Central.

Also, keep in mind, because it's an EFS study, it does not need to wait for a software release. When it's ready, we'll place in the library for immediate use.

Thanks,
    Andy

#21     Sep 11, 2003
  2. Okay thanks very much Andy

#22     Sep 11, 2003
  3. This quote was from Sept 11, and I never heard anything more about it.

Furthermore, can anyone explain the following descrepancy in daily volume for the SPH4? Here are seven days of daily volume. The first figure after the date is the CME volume total from the CME website (corroborated exactly with Cisco Futures). The second figure is from a daily chart in esignal using symbol SP H4.

1/16 58,460/57,471
    1/15 102,172/37,707
    1/14 62,624/53,161
    1/13 96,318/40,223
    1/12 70,806/57,215
    1/9 100,230/41,938
    1/8 72,568/45,969

Even accounting for the bars supposedly being one day off, there is no correlation with real volume figures. I am very interested in hearing a prompt explanation from esignal. Maybe volume doesn't matter to some traders, to me it's at least as important as price. If volume cannot be reported in an accurate fashion, at least it should not be reported at all.

#23     Jan 18, 2004
  4. I agree with you entirely "bundlemaker"; its very difficult to "make a bundle" without correct volume information. Price and volume are the key components to my trading and I think considering the high cost of esignal they should fix this volume problem. Either that or consider cutting their price in two to reflect the erroneous volume data they emit.

#24     Jan 19, 2004
  5. peugeot,

While I tend to agree with you, at this point I'd settle for straight answers. I've gotten used to esignal and enjoy many of it's features, but the bottom line is the data. Some people at esignal don't think it's a big deal, other people don't even know about it.

Is there any provider of accurate data with a usable front end like esig/rt/qcharts? So far I haven't found it.

#25     Jan 19, 2004
  6. Bundlemaker try www.cqg.com Its supposed to be good but pricey.

Also if you are happy to accept accurate tick volume instead of volume (and some successful traders are) then try www.tradeguider.com This uses esignal data but its volume calculations are based on live ticks so it does not suffer from the same inaccuracy as esignal does. Again its supposed to be good but pricey.

Why is it that anything I like usually always costs too much ?

#26     Jan 19, 2004
  7. I think it is only for the CME products, but someone can correct me if I am wrong. The CBOT products like the bonds do not have this problem. On e-Signals quote page, volume is never updated for the NQ and ES. I use Ensign with e-signal's data, and the same shows up there too for obvious reasons. However, as I said, on other products, the volume is always updating. Also, as someone said in an earlier post, volume is updated for intraday bars.

#27     Jan 19, 2004
  8. Sarasota,

I believe that "volume" on intraday bars is actually tick volume. The exception to this is electronically traded contracts, which is actual volume.

The data example I gave above is for the big SP contract. The closest thing to real time volume would be the LDB (liquidity data bank) volume which is updated at the exchange approximately once per hour.

As far as I can tell, daily volume bars are not updated during the day by esignal. It would be VERY helpful to get an explanation of exactly what and when they update.

More importantly is the daily volume bars. The esignal FAQ only states the the volume bar on the histogram for the current calender day actually shows the previous days volume. They don't tell you whether or not all previous days are shifted by one or some other situation.

Also, the volume that is shown, even if shifted by one (or doubled to account for both sides of LDB volume) the data isn't even close to what the exchange publishes or what other data vendors show. For a data vendor, this is simply outrageous; especially when many of the support staff act like your nuts when you push them on the issue.

I'm a customer that, at this point, doesn't want to change vendors for a variety of reasons. But, I"m not going to just let this thing drop either. Something is going to get corrected, fixed, or explained.

#28     Jan 19, 2004
  9. Please keep us informed on what you discover.

However, I do not think it is a tick volume thing that you were referring to, at least not on my quotes page for Ensign.

#29     Jan 19, 2004
  10. Please see my post from 1/18, thank you.

#30     Jan 20, 2004