Major differences exist between Obama and Clinton

Discussion in 'Politics' started by saxon, Feb 24, 2008.

1. saxon

saxon

In a recent segment on TV (60 Mins, i think), this question was put to both candidates:

Q. What do you do to stay healthy?

Barack Obama: "I get up early every morning and exercise."

Hillary Clinton: "I wash my hands a lot; and when I can't find a place to wash my hands, I use a Handi-Wipe."

:confused:

Just what we need...an obsessive compulsive with her germ free finger on the button!!

2. I hear incontinence will do that to a person.

3. The two are mentioned here.

I thought this is America's election, why is a special interest group representing maybe 3% of the population trying to hijack it?

-------------------------

Source: Newsweek

Hillary Clinton's surrogates are questioning Obama's commitment to U.S.-Israel relations.

The comment seemed like a casual aside. Ann Lewis, a senior adviser to Hillary Clinton, was touting the New York senator's strong support for Israel during a conference call in January with leaders of major American Jewish organizations. During the call, Lewis energetically contrasted Clinton's pro-Israel credentials with those of Barack Obama. To make her point, she said that Obama's "chief foreign-policy adviser" is Zbigniew Brzezinski, says one participant who would talk about the call only if he were not identified.

Brzezinski—the former national-security adviser to Jimmy Carter—is not Obama's "chief foreign-policy adviser." That is the job of a triumvirate who once worked for Bill Clinton: Anthony Lake, Susan Rice and Greg Craig. But Brzezinski, who tells NEWSWEEK he has advised Obama "only on occasion," has a reputation that is close to toxic in the American Jewish community. "When Brzezinski's name appears on an advisory list, that's a red flag right away," says an influential American Jewish leader who did not want to sour relations with the Obama campaign. Many American Jews mistrust Brzezinski because he endorsed a 2006 article, later a book, called "The Israel Lobby," which blames many U.S. foreign-policy problems on Washington's ties to Israel.

Lewis's aside is not an isolated incident. (She did not respond to a request for comment.) As the race between Clinton and Obama has sharpened in recent months, other Clinton campaign operatives have sent around negative material about Obama's relations with Israel, according to e-mails obtained by NEWSWEEK. In addition to Brzezinski, the e-mails attack Obama advisers such as Rob Malley, a former Clinton negotiator at the 2000 Camp David talks who has since written articles sympathetic to the Palestinian point of view, and they raise questions about Obama's relationship with the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the former pastor at Obama's Trinity Church in Chicago. Wright has criticized Israel, and Trumpet, a publication run by his daughter, gave an award for "greatness" to Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan, who once called Judaism a "bloodsucking religion." (Obama disagreed with bestowing the award.)

Aides to Obama say they have little evidence of an organized Clinton plan to turn Jewish voters away from him. (Clinton spokesman Howard Wolfson says he has no comment.) Some members of the Jewish community say the e-mails began with Christian evangelicals who are supportive of Israel. Regardless, one senior Obama adviser, who would talk only anonymously because the campaign's response involved internal discussions, says the timing is suspicious: "There's an increased number of these attack e-mails going around in direct correlation to Barack's strength in the primaries and caucuses." (He has beaten her among Jewish voters in California, Connecticut and Massachusetts; she's won in New York, New Jersey and Maryland.)

In one case, Daphna Ziman, a longtime friend of Hillary Clinton's who has co-chaired several events for her, forwarded an e-mail from the Republican Jewish Coalition, a grass-roots GOP group, criticizing Obama for proposing a Muslim summit. In a Jan. 31 interview with Paris Match, Obama said he wanted "an honest discussion about ways to bridge the gap that grows between Muslims and the West." Ziman, in her Feb. 2 e-mail, responded, "I am horrified at Mr. Obama's point of view." Her e-mail, sent to a group including Mike Medavoy, a Hollywood producer who supports Obama, contained a press release from RJC executive director Matt Brooks. "Nowhere in the Paris Match article does Senator Obama affirm Israel's right to exist," Brooks wrote. (Ziman says "the campaign had nothing to do with" her e-mail.)

In an e-mail sent Feb. 4—a day before Super Tuesday—Clinton finance official Annie Totah passed along a critical essay by Ed Lasky, a conservative blogger whose own anti-Obama e-mails have circulated in the U.S. Jewish community. Totah wrote: "Please read the attached important and very disturbing article on Barak Obama. Please vote wisely in the Primaries." (She didn't respond to a request for comment.)

The Obama-ites have counterattacked, rounding up endorsements from stalwarts in the Jewish community. Almost unanimously, American Jewish leaders say Obama's voting record and public pronouncements paint him squarely as an Israel supporter. "Senators Clinton, Obama, McCain and Governor Huckabee have demonstrated their support for a strong U.S.-Israel relationship," AIPAC president Howard Friedman wrote to NEWSWEEK. (AIPAC says all three senators have strong congressional voting records on issues important to the U.S.-Israel relationship.) The few mainstream Jewish and Israeli figures who criticize Obama focus on his apparent willingness as president to talk to the Iranian regime. Danny Ayalon, Israel's former D.C. ambassador, says Iran would exploit Obama's gullibility and race ahead with a nuclear program. Hillary Clinton seems eager to remind voters of that argument.

4. Hmm, major differences between Obama and Clinton:

Hillary Clinton has given every indication of being a more responsible potential commander-in-chief than Obama. She has refused to pledge unconditional and immediate withdrawal from Iraq, as Obama has done. He has offered to meet Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Venezuelan strongman Hugo Chavez and Raul Castro without preconditions. Hillary has declined to offer America's enemies such a PR coup. Her foreign policy advisors include level-headed people like Richard Holbrooke. His are led by the most dovish of the former Clinton hands, including Anthony Lake. Obama has even accepted advice from Robert Malley, the most prominent U.S. advocate of engagement with Hamas.

Obama talks about "building bridges." And certainly his style seems less angry than Hillary Clinton's. He does not seem to hate his enemies the way she does, does not engage in loose talk of vast right-wing conspiracies against him. That's all to the good. Yet it is Clinton who has compiled the better record of bipartisan co-operation in the Senate.
    http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=328070

5. "Bipartisan cooperation" is why we still need a decent health care plan. Bipartisan cooperation is why we still need reforms for political contributions and for political action committees. Bipartisan cooperation is why nothing gets done in this government and why lobbyists from each of the big special interests get what they want......instead of whats good for the regular guy out there.

Richard Holbrook resigned from his post which is a euphemism for "he was going to get fired so he left"....

and finally Hillary during all of her days in elected office put out a total of 20 some bills. In his time in office, Obama has put out over 800 pieces of legislation....check the records....

Hillary is a train wreck. One has only to see her in person ONCE and hear that shrill , nagging, abrasive, desperate voice to know that she has nothing to offer....Now we don't know what kind of president Obama will turn out to be, but if we have to choose between a certain train wreck, and the possibility of some real change in this world, in our lifetime, I choose Obama.....and if I can't get him in office, I will close my eyes, vote for McCain and pray....

6. I don't get it. how can a new train wreck be any different than extending the current 7 year train wreck we've been enduring?

I mean, if your horse is not in the race, which by the way I think he will be, why vote at all? Why not just hang at et and throw cow pies back and forth on "that" day?

7. While I agree with your post I am afraid you're missing one more possibility. Hillary could be a train wreck but Obama may well turn out to be a plane crash (which is far worse than a train wreck in my book). We just don't know. (example: we had Carter for 4 years but thanks to him we've been stuck with Iranian fundamentalism for 30 years and there is no end in sight).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. "...we had Carter for 4 years but thanks to him we've been stuck with Iranian fundamentalism for 30 years..."

One of the most idiotic comments ever made at ET...

9. You think? What's your opinion about this paragraph then:

Did the Carter administration "lose" Iran, as some have suggested? Gaddis Smith might have put it best: "President Carter inherited an impossible situation -- and he and his advisers made the worst of it." Carter seemed to have a hard time deciding whether to heed the advice of his aggressive national security advisor, Zbigniew Brzezinski, who wanted to encourage the Shah to brutally suppress the revolution, or that of his more cautious State Department, which suggested Carter reach out to opposition elements in order to smooth the transition to a new government. In the end he did neither, and suffered the consequences.
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/carter/peopleevents/e_hostage.html

Imagine that Z10, the article pretty much agrees with "One of the most idiotic comments ever made at ET". And it's not even on FoxNews or WorldNetDaily, it's on reasonably liberal PBS.

10. Okay "you don't get it". I understand....What I am thinking here is that we (all of us) have a vote, and that is our only way of expressing our sentiment....If you think about it, I hope you will agree that not voting means you have no voice in YOUR government. Then if something happens YOU don't like, you certainly can voice your opinion, but in your own heart you know you could have done something about it, even if only to vote for the loser, but you didn't..Instead you decided to stand aside and let others decide for you....thats not my style...I might be wrong, but I am going to dance that dance best I can....and take whatever comes...

#10     Feb 24, 2008