Major apartment developer: 'There is an acute crisis headed our way' say it ain't so...

Discussion in 'Economics' started by S2007S, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Even more amazing how fast affordable housing becomes "luxury" in a real estate boom. :sneaky:

#11     Feb 16, 2018
    tom2, tommcginnis and ironchef like this.
  2. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I've heard that the multi unit apartment market has gone bananas. High cap rates on high per sq ft rates. It's probably unsustainable. Higher rates could cause defaults among landlords.

#12     Feb 16, 2018
  3. ironchef

ironchef

Deep pocket landlords will be able to ride it out. With 4-5% 30 year mortgage rate and inflation almost reaching 3%, the math is compelling that buy and hold apartment buildings is almost as good as printing money if you can hang on long enough.

In another thread, some researchers found, long term, real estates matched the returns of equities but with 1/2 the volatility.

#13     Feb 16, 2018
    Clubber Lang likes this.
  4. Cuddles

Cuddles

I would bet on singles being a growing market to be honest

#14     Feb 16, 2018
  5. Jzwu2017

Jzwu2017

I have been looking at condos in San Francisco. A typical 600 sq-ft 1 bed/1 bath condo costs over $3000/month in rent. If you want to buy, the price is north of $700k.

Granted there are many high tech start-ups in San Francisco with good paying jobs, still I wonder how much longer this craziness can last.

#15     Feb 16, 2018
    Sig and Clubber Lang like this.
  6. i talked to some of the real estate guys today... they did say the high end condos are weak. and this is in booming houston.

#16     Feb 16, 2018
    Cuddles and Clubber Lang like this.
  7. i960

i960

We went from 2.4 to 2.9 in less than 2 months and aside from recent equity volatility the trend doesn't look massively disrupted.

#17     Feb 17, 2018
    Hotcakes and Clubber Lang like this.
  8. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

New York had those rates 15 years ago. And rents are higher than that now.

#18     Feb 17, 2018
  9. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Yeah. But they will be earning their way out an expensive mistake at 4percent/year.

#19     Feb 17, 2018
  10. srinir

srinir

I think that research is done by real estate developers. It is not true in public traded markets. Here is the return and volatility since REIT's are publicly traded. Portfolio1 is Stocks and portfolio2 is REITs. It has been more volatile.

Snap6.png

#20     Feb 17, 2018
    jtrader33 likes this.